John H. Cobb is the co-chair of the Global Finance practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Cobb’s practice focuses on handling leveraged loan and capital markets transactions. He has extensive experience representing banks, investors, and mezzanine funds, as well as issuers, in connection with a broad range of banking and securities transactions, including first and second lien credit facilities, bridge loan facilities, high-yield and investment grade debt offerings, mezzanine financings, liability management transactions, and restructurings and reorganizations. He also has represented both public and private companies in connection with general corporate and securities law matters.
Mr. Cobb is recognized as a leading finance lawyer by Chambers USA with clients noting that he "has a high level of excellence" and is also "incredibly experienced and a great resource on complex transactions." In addition, The National Law Journal recently distinguished him as a Finance, Banking and Capital Markets Trailblazer.
- Chambers Global USA Banking & Finance (2022)
- St John's University, J.D.
- Providence College, B.S.
- Represented Bank of Montreal and Royal Bank of Canada on the acquisition financing for Brookfield Asset Management Reinsurance Partners in its $5.1 Billion acquisition of American National Group.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC as lead arranger and administrative agent and certain other leading financial institutions as arrangers, in connection with a $860 million term loan facility and $200 million delayed draw term loan facility for Aveanna Healthcare LLC, a leading pediatric home healthcare company in the United States.
- Represented J.P. Morgan and Barclays Bank PLC on the acquisition financing in connection with the proposed acquisition of Atotech Limitedby MKS Instruments, Inc., a global provider of technologies that enable advanced processes and improve productivity.
- Represented Barclays as sole book runner and sole lead arranger in connection with two senior notes offerings by Kronos Acquisition Holdings Inc. (KIK) totaling $1 billion and a new $900 million senior secured term loan. KIK is one of America's largest independent manufacturers of consumer products for household, pool, and auto categories.
- Represented Barclays Capital Inc., BBVA Securities Inc., and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. as joint bookrunning managers in connection with the debut $700 million high yield 7.25% senior secured notes offering by Prime Healthcare Services, Inc.
- Represented Barclays and JPMorgan Chase Bank as lead arrangers with respect to a $400,000,000 committed financing provided to Seattle Genetics, a biotechnology company focused on antibody-based cancer therapies, in connection with its proposed acquisition of Cascadian Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company.
- Represented RBC Capital Markets, Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC, Barclays Bank PLC, and Citigroup Global Markets Inc., as lead arrangers for the $3.55 billion financing to be provided in connection with Meredith Corporation’s acquisition of Time Inc., a multinational mass media corporation.
- Represented Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd. as lead arrangers with respect to financing provided to Compass Power Generation L.L.C. and its natural gas-fired power plant portfolio companies. The financing consisted of a $750,000,000 term loan facility, a $60,000,000 revolving credit facility and a $97,000,000 letter of credit facility, the proceeds of which were used to refinance existing debt, fund capital expenditures and make a dividend.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative agent, and RBC Capital Markets, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc., and Jefferies Finance LLC, as joint lead arrangers and joint bookrunners, for the $575 million first lien credit facility, consisting of a $525 million term loan facility and a $50 million revolving credit facility, in connection with the acquisition of Vivid Seats LLC, a leading online ticket reseller.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC as lead arranger and administrative agent in connection with a $1,000,000,000 senior secured credit facility for HealthSouth Corporation, consisting of a $700,000,000 revolving credit facility and a $300,000,000 term loan facility. HealthSouth Corporation is one of the nation’s largest providers of post-acute healthcare services and an industry leader in home-based patient care.
- Represented the lead arrangers for committed financings of over $5 billion consisting of term loan and asset-based facilities in connection with a definitive agreement by Bass Pro Group, LLC to acquire Cabela’s Incorporated.
- Represented the lead arrangers in connection with financing the approximately $5 billion acquisition by The Carlyle Group L.P. of Acosta, Inc., a full-service sales and marketing agency operating in the United States and Canada.
- Represented the lead arrangers in the bank, debt and equity bridge financings used to finance the approximately $10 billion leveraged buyout of CDW Corporation by Madison Dearborn and Providence Equity Partners.
- Represented the lead arrangers and initial purchasers in the bank, bridge and high-yield bond offerings used to finance the approximately $3 billion leveraged buyout of Sequa Corporation by the Carlyle Group.
- Represented the lead arrangers in a $1.15 billion senior secured first lien term facility to fund a dividend recapitalization and refinancing and consolidation of debt facilities associated with ArcLight’s portfolio companies Gulf Oil Limited Partnership, Penn Products Holdings, LLC, and Chelsea Petroleum Productive Holdings, LLC.
- Represented the lead arrangers in a $780 million term loan facility and $50 million asset-based credit facility for MKS Instruments Inc.’s acquisition of Newport Corporation.
- Represented the lead arrangers in a $425 million term loan facility and $700 million ABL facility for ArcLight Energy Partners’ acquisition of Gulf Oil Limited Partnership.
- Represented the initial purchasers in a $1.9 billion notes offering by Argos Merger Sub Inc., which was merged with and into PetSmart at closing.
- Represented the lead arrangers in connection with financing the approximately $1 billion acquisition by Siris Capital Group, LLC of Premiere Global Services, Inc.
- Represented the initial purchasers in the offering of $375 million 6.50% senior secured notes due 2023 of Reliance Intermediate Holdings LP.
- Represented the lead arranger in the public offering of $300 million principal amount of 4.75% senior notes due 2022 by Centene Corporation.
- Represented the lead arrangers in $670 million first and second lien credit facilities for DS Waters of America, Inc. to finance its acquisition by Crestview Partners.
- Represented the initial purchasers in a $300 million senior secured notes offering by NAI Entertainment Holdings LLC.
- Represented the lead arrangers in $1.5 billion term and revolving credit facilities and the initial purchasers in a $350 million high-yield senior notes offering for Sequa Corporation.
- Represented the initial purchaser in a $225 million high-yield bond offering for The New York Times Company.
- Represented the initial purchasers in a $315 million high-yield notes offering for YCC Holdings LLC and Yankee Finance, Inc.
- Represented the lead arrangers in $950 million senior secured credit facilities and the initial purchasers in an $825 million high-yield bond offering for DineEquity, Inc.
- Admitted to the New York State Bar
- Member of the Board of Directors of The Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research