Jonathan Ko is a partner in the Securities and Capital Markets practice and is based in the Los Angeles office. Mr. Ko represents private and public companies, investment banks, private equity firms and other institutional investors in a wide range of capital market transactions across various industries, including financial services, gaming, hospitality, real estate, retail and technology. These transactions include initial public offerings, follow on and secondary offerings, and public and private offerings of high-yield debt, investment grade debt and equity securities. He has handled the financing and securities law aspects of mergers and acquisitions transactions. In addition, Mr. Ko counsels clients on SEC reporting and compliance obligations as well as other corporate and securities law matters.
He also has extensive experience in liability management transactions and out-of-court restructurings, advising clients on debt tender and exchange offers and consent solicitations.
- Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law
- IFLR1000, Capital Markets: Debt and Equity
- The Legal 500 USA, Capital Markets: Equity Offerings
- The Legal 500 USA, Real Estate Investment Trusts
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, J.D., 1998
- Loyola Marymount University, B.A., 1995
Representative matters include:
Debt and Equity Offerings, including Initial Public Offerings
- AdvancePierre Foods Holdings, Inc. in its initial public offering, secondary offering and high-yield debt offering
- The underwriters in multiple debt and equity offerings by American Homes 4 Rent, Public Storage, and PS Business Parks
- Freescale Semiconductor, Ltd. in multiple debt offerings
- Viking Cruises Ltd. in multiple high-yield debt offerings
- Unibail-Rodamco-Westfield in multiple investment grade debt offerings
- Numerous initial public offerings by special purpose acquisition companies (SPACs), such as CF Corp, Crescent Capital Acquisition Corp., Far Point Acquisition Corp, GS Acquisition Holdings Corp, Hennessy Capital Acquisition II—IV, One Madison Corp., Platinum Eagle Acquisition Corp., and Social Capital Hedosophia Corp.
Financing of Mergers and Acquisitions Transactions
- Broadcom Corporation in its $37 billion sale to Avago Technologies Limited. Mr. Ko was a member of the deal team recognized by the Daily Journal with a 2016 "California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year" award for innovative work on this deal
- EMC Corporation in its $67 billion acquisition by Dell Inc.
- Pinnacle Entertainment, Inc. in the $375 million offering of 5.625% senior notes by PNK Entertainment, Inc. in connection with the merger of Pinnacle Entertainment with Gaming & Leisure Properties, Inc. and the spin-off of PNK Entertainment
Liability Management Transactions and Out-of-Court Restructurings
- Residential Capital LLC in its exchange offer for $14 billion of notes
- Quiksilver, Inc. in its $140 million debt-for-equity exchange
- Viking Cruises Ltd in multiple consent solicitations
- Member, Executive Committee, Asia Society Southern California
- Member, Executive Advisory Council, Asian Americans Advancing Justice—Los Angeles