Josh Sternoff is a Co-Chair of the Investment Funds & Private Capital practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. His practice includes representation of private fund sponsors and investors in all aspects of the structuring, documentation, offering, negotiation, and operation of private investment funds, including real estate, credit, and private equity funds making investments, conducting operations, and raising capital on a global basis.
Mr. Sternoff also has extensive experience assisting investment managers and institutional investors with separate account arrangements, “fund-of-one” structures, investment management agreements, club arrangements, and co‑investment programs.
He also represents institutional fund sponsors in connection with joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions involving private funds and fund management teams and other corporate transactions in the investment management industry, as well as newly formed fund sponsors in connection with all elements of the establishment of their investment funds’ platform.
Mr. Sternoff’s fund sponsor clients include large financial institutions as well as entrepreneurial participants in the private funds industry, and he regularly counsels such clients on carried interest and co-investment arrangements in connection with the establishment of private investment funds.
- Chambers USA, Private Equity: Fund Formation (2007-2022)
- Recognized for Investment Funds: Private Equity: Fund Formation in Chambers Global, 2019
- Recognized for Investment fund formation and management - Private equity funds in The Legal 500, 2020
- J.D, cum laude, from Harvard Law School in 1995.
- B.A., summa cum laude, from Columbia University in 1992.
Engagement & Publications
- Panelist, “Beyond Commingled Funds: Innovative Capitalization Structures,” PERE America 2018
- Moderator, “Fundraising in a Constantly Challenging Environment,” PERE America 2017
- Author, “AMERICAS GC: Preparing for co-investments,” PERE November 2016 Issue
- Mr. Sternoff is a member of the firm’s Community Involvement and Pro Bono Committee.