Luis F. Gomar is a partner in the Corporate department of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Houston office. Mr. Gomar has over 15 years of experience advising on cross-border transactions in the energy and finance sectors.
Mr. Gomar counsels clients on both domestic and international transactions involving M&A, asset acquisition and divestitures, fund formations, joint ventures and strategic alliances, project development, and structured finance. He regularly advises energy companies (power, oil and gas, and renewables) with EPC, supply agreements, offtake and feedstock arrangements, and commercial contracts. Mr. Gomar also regularly assists project sponsors and developers with structured finance and capital raising transaction. He has significant experience representing clients on investment and expansion opportunities in the United States and throughout Latin America.
- Recommended Attorney (Industry Focus: Energy: Transactions: Oil and Gas), The Legal 500 US, 2016
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (Mergers & Acquisitions), 2013, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Mexico (Energy), 2017-2018
- Latin America’s Rising Legal Stars: Partners to Watch, Latinvex, 2015
- Outstanding Lawyer Under 40, Jewish Federation of Greater Dallas Cardozo Society, 2014
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of Texas at El Paso, B.B.A., 2002
Mergers, Acquisitions and Divestitures
- Led a team representing principals of Marc Jones Construction Company d/b/a SunPro, one of the largest residential solar panel installation companies in the United States, in the sale of 51% interest to a group of private equity firms sponsored by Compass Energy and MGG Investments for US$180 million.
- Led a team representing a Korean oil and gas company in connection with the disposition of U.S. GOM oil and gas assets to private equity sponsored management team.
- Led a team representing a publicly traded Australian mining and petroleum conglomerate in connection with the potential acquisition of various U.S. GOM oil and gas assets.
- Led a team representing Bahraini Family Office in connection with the sale, through the stock of Irish domiciled SPV, of two offshore rigs in Mexican Gulf of Mexico valued at US$140 million.
- Led a team representing a European renewable energy developer in connection with the potential acquisition and development of solar projects in Texas totaling 850 MW of installed capacity for a total transaction value of US$675 million.
- Led a team representing a Korean consolidated group in connection with the potential investment in a series of battery storage facilities totaling 60 MW of energy storage capacity in California.
- Led a team representing a Mexican family office with various oil and gas investments in the United States.
Structured/Project Finance and Development
- Led a team representing PetroBal Upstream Delta 1, S.A. de C.V. (PetroBal), part of Grupo BAL, in connection with US$250 million reserves base lending (RBL) financing for the development of the Ichakil-Pokosh fields in shallow waters off the Mexican Gulf of Mexico.
- Led a team representing an integrated oil and gas company in connection with the development, including the negotiation of EPC and other project development contracts and the financing of a fuel storage terminal facility in Mexico valued at approx. US$137 million.
- Led a team representing a family office-backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a refinery in Honduras.
- Led a team representing a family office-backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a green fuel refinery, storage facility and dock in the Houston ship channel.
- Represents hedge funds, private equity funds, and hybrid funds pursuing a variety of investment strategies, including event-driven, asset-backed, oil and gas, real estate and funds of funds.
- Represents management companies, USCIS-approved EB5 regional centers and issuers in connection with fundraising, registration, investment activities (including negotiating side letters, direct equity, and other forms of convertible investments), marketing, ongoing compliance, and operational issues.
Engagement & Publications
- Co-author, "Outlook for US Renewable Energy Projects Following COVID-19," Renewables Now, 2020
- State Bar of Texas
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Jewish Federation of Greater Houston, Secretary and Treasurer of Board of Trustees, 2019-present, Flood Committee, 2017-2018
- Jewish Federations of North America, Emergency Committee, 2016-2020
- Holocaust Museum Houston, Board of Advisors, 2018-2021, Board of Trustees, 2021-present