Marisa A. Sotomayor is a partner in the Leveraged Finance practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the Firm's New York office.
Ms. Sotomayor concentrates her practice in debt financings and other corporate finance matters. She regularly represents banks, alternative lenders and private credit providers, non-traditional lenders and private equity sponsors, and corporate borrowers in a wide range of large-cap and middle-market transactions, including leveraged-cash flow and asset-based credits, acquisition financings, syndicated transactions, club and bilateral deals, unitranche loans, cross-border loans, first and second lien loans, refinancings, and dividend recapitalizations. She was recently recognized by New York Law Journal as a 2020 Rising Star as one of the region's most promising lawyers 40 and younger, as well as Law360 as a Rising Star in its annual list of lawyers under 40 whose legal accomplishments transcend their age. Additionally, Marisa was awarded the 2021 Emerging Leaders Award by the M&A Advisor.
Ms. Sotomayor is a member of the Firm's Diversity Council, former global Chair of the Paul Hastings Women's Initiative, and the advisor to the New York Women's PHAN (Paul Hastings Affinity Network). She received her J.D. from the Fordham University School of Law in 2007, her M.P.A. from the State University of New York at Albany in 2004, and her B.A. (summa cum laude and with departmental honors) from the State University of New York at Albany in 2003, where she was elected to the Phi Beta Kappa Society. She is admitted to practice in New York.
- 2021 Emerging Leaders Award, M&A Advisor
- 2020 Outstanding Leadership in Diversity & Inclusion Award, University at Albany Alumni Association, State University of New York (received April 2021)
- 2020 Rising Star, New York Law Journal
- 2019 Rising Star, Law360
- 2018 Rising Star, Women’s Bond Club
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- University at Albany, State University of New York, M.P.A.
- University at Albany, State University of New York, B.A., summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
- Represented Capital One, National Association as sole lead arranger and bookrunner with respect to the financing of Rimini Street’s redemption of the remaining Series A preferred stock. The financing consisted of a $90 million senior secured credit facility with approximately $88 million of the borrowings to be used for the full redemption of the remaining Series A Preferred stock and the remainder of the borrowings for related transaction costs and other general corporate purposes. Rimini Street is an industry leading global provider of enterprise software products and services.
- Represented Bank of America, N.A. with respect to a $1,050,000,000 term loan facility for Xperi Holding Corporation (NASDAQ: XPER) in connection with the merger of Xperi Corporation and TiVo Corporation. Xperi Holding Corporation is a digital entertainment technology platform with one of the industry’s largest and most diverse intellectual property licensing platforms.
- Represented EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), a leading provider of global satellite solutions, in the cross-border refinancing and reorganization of the capital structure of Globalstar, Inc. (NYSE American: GSAT), the Covington, LA.-based provider of mobile voice and data communication services. The refinancing included a new second lien facility, co-led by a subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation, consisting of a term loan facility in the aggregate principal amount of approximately $190.0 million and common stock warrants. The proceeds of the second lien term loan facility were used to pay down existing debt.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative agent, collateral agent and issuer, and a joint book runner and a joint lead arranger, with respect to a $150,000,000 debtor-in-possession asset-based revolving credit facility and Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative and collateral agent, and sole book runner and sole lead arranger, with respect to a $100,000,000 debtor-in-possession term loan credit facility, in each case, in connection with the voluntary petition for relief filed under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code by Mattress Firm, Inc., America’s largest specialty mattress retailer and certain of its affiliates.
- Represented leading private credit provider as arranger and sole lender in connection with $50,000,000 privately placed incremental financing with respect to add-on acquisition under an existing $300,000,000 syndicated facility.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC and JPMorgan Chase Bank as lead arrangers with respect to a $400,000,000 committed financing provided to Seattle Genetics, a biotechnology company focused on antibody-based cancer therapies, in connection with its proposed acquisition of Cascadian Therapeutics, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company.
- Represented Morgan Stanley Senior Funding, Inc. and The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd. as lead arrangers with respect to financing provided to Compass Power Generation L.L.C. and its natural gas-fired power plant portfolio companies. The financing consisted of a $750,000,000 term loan facility, a $60,000,000 revolving credit facility, and a $97,000,000 letter of credit facility, the proceeds of which were used to refinance existing debt, fund capital expenditures, and make a dividend.
- Representation of Antares Capital and SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc. as lead arrangers for $370,000,000 credit facilities to support the acquisition of The Atlas Group, a maker of complex assemblies for commercial, military, and business aircraft, by AE Industrial Partners.
- Represented Capital One, N.A. and HPS Investment Partners as lead arrangers in connection with the $180 million financing for the acquisition of Integrated Prescription Management, Incorporated, a pharmacy benefit manager operating in the United States.
- Represented Bank of America, N.A., Wells Fargo Securities, LLC, Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Goldman Sachs Lending Partners LLC, RBC Capital Markets, and UBS Securities LLC, as lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Bank of America, N.A. and Wells Fargo Bank, National Association, as administrative agents, in connection with $5,145,000,000 in term loan and asset-based revolving credit facilities for Bass Pro Group, LLC’s acquisition of Cabela’s Incorporated. Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s are leading retailers of hunting, fishing, camping, and related outdoor recreation merchandise.
- Represented UBS Securities LLC, KKR Capital Markets LLC, Citigroup Global Markets Inc., Crédit Agricole Corporateand Investment Bank, Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., Mizuho Bank, Ltd., and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, as joint lead arrangers and bookrunners, and UBS AG, Stamford Branch, as administrative agent, in connection with $1,285,500,000 and €615,000,000.00 term loan facilities in favor of Gardner Denver, Inc. Gardner Denver is a global manufacturer of industrial compressors, blowers, pumps, loading arms, and fuel systems.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC, RBC Capital Markets, BMO Capital Markets, and Goldman Sachs Lending Partners LLC, as lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Barclays Bank PLC and Royal Bank of Canada, as administrative agents, in connection with $900,000,000 in first lien and second lien credit facilities financing Bain Capital Private Equity’s and J.H. Whitney Capital Partners’ acquisition of Epic Health Services and PSA Healthcare. Post-acquisition, the companies were merged to form Aveanna Healthcare, a leading pediatric home healthcare company.
- Represented RBC Capital Markets, Barclays Bank PLC, Deutsche Bank Securities Inc., and SG Americas Securities, LLC, as lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Royal Bank of Canada, as administrative agent, in connection with $495,000,000 in first lien and second lien credit facilities financing Permira’s acquisition of DiversiTech, an aftermarket manufacturer and supplier of highly engineered components for residential and light commercial HVAC and refrigeration.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC, RBC Capital Markets, SunTrust Robinson Humphrey, Inc., and Jefferies Finance LLC, as lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative agent, in connection with $575,000,000 in senior secured credit facilities financing GTCR’s strategic investment in Vivid Seats LLC. Vivid Seats is a leading independent marketplace for tickets to live sports, concert, and theater events.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC, as lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative agent, in connection with a $125,000,000 asset-based revolving credit facility and a $450,000,000 term loan credit facility, financing the acquisition by Bain Capital Private Equity, LP of Innocor Inc. Innocor is a producer of advanced foam products for commercial and retail channels.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC, BMO Capital Markets, Nomura Securities International, Inc., and Macquarie Capital (USA) Inc., as joint lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative agent, in connection with a $850,000,000 senior secured term loan and a $225,000,000 senior secured asset-based revolving credit facility in favor of KIK Custom Products and certain of its affiliates.
- Represented Barclays Bank PLC, Deutsche Bank AG New York Branch, and HSBC Bank USA, N.A., as lead arrangers and bookrunners, and Barclays Bank PLC, as administrative agent, in connection with a $830,000,000 in term loan and asset-based revolving credit facilities in favor of MKS Instruments, Inc.
Engagement & Publications
- Featured expert, "Loan Market Trends – Structures and Implications", International Association of Credit Portfolio Managers (IACPM)’s Virtual Spring Conference (May 21, 2021)