Michael Fitzgerald heads the Latin America practice group at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Fitzgerald was one of the first U.S. lawyers to focus on corporate finance work in Latin America and his first-mover advantage has led to his numerous representations of a wide range of international and domestic underwriter and issuer clients in debt and equity financing transactions, merger and acquisition activities and lending transactions. He has been recognized as a Top Innovative Lawyer by the Financial Times, one of The American Lawyer's Dealmakers of the Year and most recently received the annual Outstanding Achievement award by the International Financial Law Review. Mr. Fitzgerald is also recognized as a band one leading lawyer by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and Chambers Latin America; and is recognized by The Legal 500 US as one of the leading lawyers in the U.S. for Global Offerings and other corporate financings. Mr. Fitzgerald is a thought leader on a variety of issues involving international financial markets and has authored numerous articles and presented seminars on related legal and business challenges and opportunities.
- Chambers Global Latin America-International Counsel Banking & Finance - Band 1 (2022)
- Chambers Global Latin America-International Counsel Capital Markets - Band 1 (2022)
- Chambers Global USA Banking & Finance (2022)
- Chambers Global USA Capital Markets: Debt & Equity (2022)
- Recipient of the 2017 annual Outstanding Achievement Award by the International Financial Law Review
- Recognized as a leading lawyer (band 1) by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and Chambers Latin America
- Recognized by The Legal 500 US as one of the leading lawyers in the US for Global Offerings and financings
- Named one of eight most innovative lawyers in the US by the Financial Times
- Named one of six MVPs in Securities & Capital Markets work by Law360
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.
Engagement & Publications
Mr. Fitzgerald has written articles and presented seminars on a variety of issues involving the international capital markets.
- Co-Editor, "The Guide to Restructuring" (including Co-Author of the Introduction thereto), Latin Lawyer (October, 2021)
- Latin Lawyer – GRR Restructuring Summit – June 2017
- REDD Latin America High Yield & Distressed Fall Summit – September 2016
- Latin Lawyer – GRR Restructuring Summit – June 2016
- Co-Author, "Mexico’s Energy Industry Gushes with Investment Opportunity," The Financial Times
- Author, "Tracing the Sources of Latin America’s Economic Boom," Latin American Law & Business Report
- Author, "Venture Capitalists Look to Mexico and Latin America," North American Free Trade & Investment Report
- Co-author, "The Threat of Unsponsored ADR Programs," Insights
- Committee member of the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice Initiatives
- Member of the American Bar Association Committee on Securities Laws, American Bar