Philip N. Feder is a partner and former chair of the Global Real Estate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He concentrates his practice in the area of real estate, hotel, and hospitality transactions, both domestic and international, with emphasis in finance, acquisitions, and dispositions, and real estate loan workouts and restructurings. He has extensive experience representing U.S.-based based investors on transactions in Europe, the U.S., Asia, and the Middle East. He recently practiced in the London office of Paul Hastings, where he managed that office and represented some of the major real estate private equity funds on their European investments.
Mr. Feder’s practice has emphasized the representation of private and institutional real estate investors and lenders such as pension funds, investment banks, commercial banks, opportunity funds, and insurance companies, both public and private. His practice has concentrated in the area of acquisitions of debt instruments, real property financing, acquisitions, workouts, and restructurings, together with international joint venture transactions. His experience also includes the documentation of new real estate lending techniques, together with the representation of real estate developers in leasing, purchase and sale, and other development transactions.
- The Legal 500, Hall of Fame for Real Estate (2021)
- Chambers USA, Ranked in Band 2 for Southern California Real Estate (2015-2021)
- The Legal 500, Ranked as a "Leading Lawyer" for Real Estate (2020)
- The Daily Journal, Real Estate Dealmakers of the Year (2011)
- Legal Media Group, Top Real Estate Lawyers (2010)
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1979 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and Moot Court Executive, member)
- Stanford University, A.B. (with honors), 1976
- Representation of funds controlled by Oaktree Capital Management on the acquisition and financing of portfolios of multifamily properties totaling $2 billion in value.
- Representation of JRK Property Holdings in connection with the acquisition and financing of multifamily properties totaling $1.5 billion in value.
- Representation of funds controlled by Oaktree Capital Management on the acquisition and financing of three large single family home developments.
- Representation of The Related Companies on the equity and debt financing of a 300-unit apartment project in Santa Monica, California.
- Representation of TPG on the acquisition of a portfolio of properties in the western United States from Prologis.
- Representation of The Related Companies on the financing of the flagship residential complex, The Century, in Los Angeles, California.
- Representation of Paulson & Co. on the acquisition of 769 acres of land in Riverside County, California.
- Representation of Clayton St. Louis Property LLC on the acquisition and financing of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel in St. Louis, Missouri.
- Representation of Mack Urban on the acquisition of six acres of real property in downtown Los Angeles.
- Representation of major sovereign wealth funds on the acquisition of various prominent real estate assets, including major hospitality and office projects.
Engagement & Publications
- Moderator, "A view from the top: insights from PERE 50 fund managers," PERE Investor Forum Los Angeles, April 2018
- Sovereign Wealth Funds seminar, American College of Real Estate Lawyers conference, March 2012
- Moderator, Hotels 2012, USC Lusk conference, March 2012
- Member of the California and New York bars
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers