Sarah Besnoff is an associate in the Employment Law Department of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. Her practice focuses on employment discrimination and pay equity class and collective action litigation, pay equity audits and investigations, human rights and ESG counseling, employment counseling, and business and contractual disputes. Ms. Besnoff frequently speaks on employment topics, and has been a lecturer at the University of Carey Law School, and the Fels Institute of Government.
- Paul Hastings Pro Bono Advocate of the Year, 2020
- Paul Hastings Pro Bono Coordinator of the Year, 2019
- Kids in Need of Defense DC Pro Bono Award, 2019
- "Rising Star" Governing Magazine, 2015
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2014
- University of Pennsylvania, Fels Institute of Government, M.P.A., 2011
- Barnard College, B.A. (magna cum laude), 2009
- Defended clients in pay discrimination class actions and collective actions alleging violations of the Equal Pay Act
- Won summary judgment in arbitration, and upheld in federal district court and by the Fourth Circuit on a multi-million contract claim for sales commissions
- Won decertification of a racial discrimination class before the EEOC
- Defended clients in arbitration regarding contract, fiduciary duty, and employment disputes
- Advised clients on employment and human rights risks and policy considerations
- Conducted human rights policy reviews
- Won asylum for client fleeing gang violence in El Salvador
- Represented over 60,000 Blue Water Vietnam Veterans in securing class-wide retroactive repayment for benefits denied by the VA, in collaboration with the National Veterans Legal Service Program
Engagement & Publications
- Regular speaker on employment law topics, including related to pay equity, COVID-19, and state law updates, and public communications. Recent speaking engagements have included an ACC NCR CLE on Pay Equity, an ACC NCR CLE on Off-Duty Conduct, Women in Nonprofit Leadership Conference on Public Speaking.
- Ms. Besnoff has served as a Lecturer at the University of Pennsylvania Carey School of Law and the Fels Institute of Government.
- Pro Bono Committee, Paul Hastings, Washington, D.C.
- Young Lawyers Alliance, Legal Counsel for the Elderly