Soyoung Jung is an associate in the Intellectual Property practice at Paul Hastings and based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Ms. Jung is an experienced trial attorney with a focus on intellectual property litigation, including disputes on patent infringement, copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation. She has represented major consumer electronics, semiconductor, software, pharmaceutical, financial services and retail companies. Ms. Jung has been involved in all phases of litigation, from pre-suit investigation through trial and appeal, with significant experience in driving strategy on critical defenses and developing legal theories on complex issues. She also has experience representing companies in intellectual property transactional matters, including intellectual property agreements and negotiations, patent prosecution and opinion letters.
- Selected into the Southern California Rising Stars list in Intellectual Property Litigation by Super Lawyers (2015-2018).
- Selected into the Top Women Attorneys in Southern California list by Los Angeles Magazine (2015).
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2005 (Submissions Editor of the Virginia Journal of Law and Technology)
- University of California, at Berkeley, M.S., 2002
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, S.B., 2000
- Representing global video hosting company on copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation allegations concerning world’s most popular video app (W.D. Tex.)
- Representing major semiconductor manufacturer in patent dispute involving manufacture of integrated circuit devices (W.D. Tex.)
- Represented leading multinational consumer electronics company in numerous patent disputes involving mobile communication and integrated circuits products, from early stages to appeal, which have resulted in numerous dismissals and favorable settlements (D. Del.; E.D. Tex.)
- Represented major pharmaceutical company in litigation and related post-grant proceedings, with involvement in defense theory that has drawn Congressional attention against plaintiff (D. Del.; PTAB)
- Represented leading security software company in patent dispute over anti-malware technology, which resulted in summary judgment dismissal, affirmed by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (D. Del.)
- Represented digital entertainment company against major streaming service provider in patent dispute concerning program guides (N.D. Cal.)
- Represented leading consumer electronics company in investigation involving mobile communication devices, and notebook and desktop computers (U.S. ITC)
- Represented telecommunications company in patent infringement case involving wireless communication devices (C.D. Cal.)
- Represented a leading consumer electronics company in a patent infringement case involving digital imaging technology (D. Del.)
- Represented leading drugstore retailer in multiple related cases on wrongful termination (C.D. Cal.)
- Represented leading financial services company in a multidistrict patent litigation involving mobile banking applications (MDL)
- Represented digital marketing company in a trademark infringement case (S.D.N.Y.)
Engagement & Publications
- Co-Author, "Reflecting On A 6-Year Journey To A Patent Ineligibility Win," Law360 (2016) (https://www.law360.com/articles/679928)
- Author of numerous works in national literary journals from 2004 to 2011.
- Admitted to practice in California state courts, U.S. federal district courts, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Active contributor for nearly a decade to Public Counsel’s Immigration Rights Project as pro bono advocate for asylum seekers.