Palo Alto and San Diego – The Daily Journal has named Yar Chaikovsky, global co-chair of Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property practice, and Elizabeth Brann to its 2020 listing of Top Intellectual Property Lawyers in California. The feature recognizes the best California lawyers handling intellectual property issues.
Chaikovsky was named to the Daily Journal’s Top Intellectual Property Lawyers list for the seventh consecutive year, with the publication noting his work on behalf of Trend Micro, Snap, HTC, H.I.G Capital, Xtera, Twitter, and Canon. The Daily Journal highlighted Chaikovsky’s success on behalf of Snap, successfully invalidating four of six patents asserted by BlackBerry, crippling the plaintiff’s case. BlackBerry was forced to dismiss the case and appeal the summary judgment rulings.
Brann, who chairs Paul Hastings’ San Diego litigation department, was profiled for success on behalf of Align Technology, landing a favorable settlement that concluded 14 years of patent litigation against its bitter rival, ClearCorrect. The settlement came on the eve of a trial after a summary judgment ruling in favor of Align Technology, and ended the litigation with ClearCorrect paying $51 million in damages to Align. As a result of the settlement, Brann was named “Litigator of the Week” by American Lawyer and recognized by Law360 as a “Legal Lion.”
Paul Hastings litigators in California have regularly received industry honors, including:
- Yar Chaikovsky and Philip Ou were named “California Trailblazers” by The Recorder.
- The firm was shortlisted by Benchmark Litigation for "California - Intellectual Property Litigation Firm of the Year."
- Yar Chaikovsky was named to Benchmark Litigation’s "Silicon Valley Attorney of the Year" and “California IP Attorney of the Year” Short List.
- Yar Chaikovsky was named to the inaugural edition of IAM Global Leaders.
- Paul Hastings in California was ranked Silver by IAM Patent 1000. The firm was additionally ranked in New York and Washington, D.C. in the United States, in addition to Japan and South Korea.
- Paul Hastings in California was recognized by Managing IP for both Patent Contentious and Copyright matters. Managing IP ranked Paul Hastings nationally in Patent Contentious, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences.
At Paul Hastings, our purpose is clear — to help our clients and people navigate new paths to growth. With a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S., Paul Hastings is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative global law firms.