São Paulo—Paul Hastings LLP, a leading global law firm, announced today the opening of its São Paulo, Brazil office, making it the firm’s 21st office. Roberta Bassegio, a New York qualified energy and infrastructure lawyer who joined the firm in December, will serve as chair of the new office.
“Brazil is ripe with opportunities,” said Ms. Bassegio. “I joined Paul Hastings from a leading Brazilian law firm because of Paul Hastings’ reputation as one of the elite Latin America-focused firms and my conviction—and now experience—that we have the right mix of practice strengths and client connections to take Paul Hastings’ activities in Brazil to the next level with this office opening,” she added.
“The reality is that while Brazil’s economy is struggling, there are myriad opportunities for us to help clients navigate this dynamic market,” said Michael Fitzgerald, chair of the Latin America practice at Paul Hastings. “Brazil is a key market for our clients who, now more than ever, are keen for us to have an on the ground presence,” he added.
Paul Hastings lawyers have a history of working with clients in Brazil across a wide range of industries. The firm is currently representing:
- a Brazilian conglomerate on an investigation and compliance review connected to a significant infrastructure project
- an investor on the financing of a major Brazilian port expansion
- a Brazilian sponsor in financing one of Latin America’s most significant pipelines
- lenders on a multi-tranche, Reais and Dollar, debt restructuring in connection with a transportation company
- a multinational pharmaceutical company on global compliance and FCPA issues associated with pharmaceutical sales
- a large technology company regarding allegations of improper activity associated with the construction of a production facility
- many different clients on merger and acquisition transactions involving Brazilian companies in a variety of industries
The lawyers with the Paul Hastings Latin America and Project Finance practices have advised clients in nearly every industry on some of the largest, most complex, and “first-ever” transactions throughout Latin America. They have worked on several of the most notable deals in the region in 2015, which include:
- the $3 billion bank financing for the new International Airport in Mexico City, the third busiest airport in the world
- the $800 million global offering for Nemak, the largest IPO out of Mexico in almost two years and one of the largest in Latin America in 2015
- EIG Global Energy Partners’ investment in Prumo, the largest port in Brazil
- the $3 billion loan that financed Blackstone’s acquisition of GE’s Mexican commercial mortgage portfolio in Mexico, the largest of its kind in Mexico, making the deal one of the largest real estate financings ever in Latin America
- the Government of Jamaica’s $2 billion SEC registered bond, which was used in part to pay back debt to Venezuelan oil company PDVSA, and marked Jamaica’s largest-ever issuance of debt
Paul Hastings is a leading global law firm with a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the United States. Through a collaborative approach, entrepreneurial spirit, and commitment to client service, the professionals of Paul Hastings deliver innovative solutions to many of the world’s top financial institutions and Fortune 500 companies.