(September 25, 2012) - Paul Hastings, a leading global law firm, announced today that it received official approval to open an office in Seoul, Korea. The country's Ministry of Justice approved the application today, and Paul Hastings will immediately file for registration with the Korean Bar Association.
Jong Han Kim, Chair of the new Seoul office, commented, "We are truly honored to have been granted approval to open in Seoul and are grateful to the Ministry of Justice for their support and assistance over the past several months. We look forward to offering on-the-ground legal advice to our valued clients and are eager to explore the countless opportunities opening in South Korea will entail."
Paul Hastings dedicated Korea team has over 25 years of experience advising both Korean and international clients across a range of practices including cross-border M&A and joint ventures, international capital markets and highly complex crossborder
Jong Han Kim has over 23 years in the industry and his practice includes representation of Korean companies in their complex IP and antitrust litigation in the United States and representation of international institutions in their investments in Korea. Mr. Kim has in the past served as foreign investment advisor to Koreas Trade Minister.
Partner Daniel Kim, who will also be relocating to Seoul, focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and international capital markets. The two will be joined in Seoul by a strong team of associates and counsels all fluent in Korean and experienced in working with both local and multinational organizations.
Paul Hastings Korea practice highlights include:
- Advising Samsung Electronics in the US$1.4 billion sale of its hard disk drive (HDD) business to Seagate Technology, a NASDAQ listed manufacturer of HDD and storage solutions, and extending and enhancing the existing patent cross-license agreement between the companies. This transaction was awarded M&A Deal of the Year 2011 by ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL and was one of the largest M&A deals in Korea last year.
- Advising Samsung Electronics in its US$310 million acquisition of UK-listed CSR Plcs mobile connectivity and location technology as well as certain relevant patents including a license to patents and intellectual property for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and GPS.
- Advising Dong-A Pharmaceutical in its strategic alliance with Meiji Seika Pharma, a Japanese pharmaceutical company, to develop, manufacture, market and sell biosimilar pharmaceutical products, including through the construction of a manufacturing facility in Songdo, Korea.
- Advising the joint bookrunners in the US$900 million dual-currency convertible bond offering by Lotte Shopping on the Singapore Exchange. This was one of the largest convertible bond issuance in Asia ex-Japan and was awarded "Best Equity-Linked Deal of the Year 2011" by FinanceAsia; "South Korea Capital Markets Deal of the Year 2011" and "Equity-Linked Deal of the Year 2011" by IFR Asia.
- Advising Walmart in connection with its sale of Walmart Korea to Shinsegae.
- Acting for Korean Airlines in U.S. passenger and cargo class action antitrustlitigation.
- Acting for Kolon Industries in connection with US trade secrets litigation.
- Acting for LG Display in connection with U.S. TFT-LCD antitrust litigation.
- Acting for KEXIM in connection with the US$1.5 billion debt financing for the development of a 2 x 620 MW Mong Duong coal-fired power project in Quang Ninh province, Vietnam. This project was the first IPP project to be financed by international lenders in Vietnam since 2003. This was awarded "Asia Pacific Power Deal of the Year 2011" by Project Finance International and Project Finance Magazine and "Deal of the Year 2011" by FinanceAsia, IFR Asia and ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL.
- Acting for Morgan Stanley Private Equity in its US$215 million equity investment in Hyundai Rotem, a Hyundai Motor Group Company in Korea.
Paul Hastings is a leading global law firm with offices in Asia, Europe, and the United States. We provide innovative legal solutions to financial institutions and Fortune 500 companies. Please visit www.paulhastings.com for more information.