Barry Brooks is the Chair of the Paul Hastings New York office, the firm’s largest, and a partner in its Corporate Department specializing in mergers and acquisitions, private investment transactions, and a variety of other complex transactions. He represents parties in a broad range of public and private domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, private equity, corporate finance and joint venture transactions. Mr. Brooks represents private equity funds, hedge funds and other private investment funds and institutional investors and private and public operating companies in various industries. Mr. Brooks also advises public companies and their boards and committees in connection with corporate responsibility, fiduciary duty, disclosure, and executive employment matters.
Mr. Brooks is a member of the State Bars of both New York and California, and is also a member of the American Bar Association. Mr. Brooks received his A.B. degree, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, in 1978 from the University of California at Los Angeles and his J.D. degree, cum laude, in 1981 from Harvard Law School.
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1981
- University of California Los Angeles, B.A., 1978
- Represented the management of Volcom, Inc. in connection with the formation of a joint venture with Authentic Brands Group, which purchased the intellectual property of the modern lifestyle brand for men, women, and kids, from Kering S.A.
- Represented Tilray, Inc., a leader in cannabis research, cultivation, processing, and distribution, in connection with the formation by Tilray and Authentic Brands Group of a long-term revenue sharing agreement to market and distribute a portfolio of consumer cannabis products within ABG’s brand portfolio.
- Represented Tilray, Inc. in connection with the formation of a joint venture with AB InBev to research non-alcohol beverages containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD).
- Represented Indiana Packers Corporation in connection with its acquisition of Specialty Foods Group, a manufacturer of meat products
- Advised Primary Wave Music Publishing LLC, a top 10 independent music publishing company, in connection with multiple acquisitions of music publishing catalogs (including Bob Marley, Paul Anka, Gaither Music Group, Sly and the Family Stone, Def Leppard, John Lennon, Hall & Oates, Nirvana, Earth Wind & Fire, Steven Tyler, and Steve Cropper).
- Represented Cortec Group, a private equity firm, in connection with its purchase of CVR Management, LLC, a physician practice management company which manages clinics providing medical treatment for chronic venous insufficiency issues.
- Represented The Providence Service Corporation, a publicly traded company, in connection with its acquisition of CCHN Group Holdings, Inc. ("Matrix"), a portfolio company of an affiliate of Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe, for an aggregate purchase price of US$400 million. The Providence Service Corporation is a leader in the management and provision of human social services, innovative global employment services, and non-emergency transportation through a variety of government-sponsored programs. Matrix is a provider of in-home health assessment and case management services.
- Represented The Providence Service Corporation in connection to its sale of Providence Human Services, LLC (PHS) and Providence Community Services, LLC ("PCS"), to Molina Healthcare, Inc. PSC and PHS provide behavioral and mental health services.
- Represented TierPoint, LLC, a leading national provider of information technology and data center services, including colocation, cloud computing, and managed IT services, in multiple acquisitions of data center operating companies located in fifteen states, including in respect of its acquisition of Xand from affiliates of ABRY Partners, CoSentry from TA Associates, and Windstream Hosted Solutions Associates from Windstream.
- Represented Rural/Metro Corporation, a leading ambulance and private fire protection services company, in its US$670 million acquisition by global private equity firm Warburg Pincus.
- Represented Marubeni Corporation in connection with the sale of Long Island Automotive Group.
- Represented Marubeni Corporation in connection with its purchase of XL Parts, LLC.
- Represented Cequel Communications Holdings, LLC in connection with the $6.6 billion sale of Suddenlink Communications, a top 10 multiple cable systems operator, to BC Partners, the Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board, and members of Suddenlink’s management team.
- Represented Cequel III in connection with the sale of Suddenlink Communications, a top 10 multiple cable systems operator, to Altice for US$9.1 billion.billion