Jack Thorne is an associate in the London office of Paul Hastings. Mr. Thorne advises across a broad range of domestic and international disputes, with a particular focus on commercial litigation and arbitration, finance litigation, and corporate insolvency. He regularly advises on High Court litigation and handles cases before the London Court of International Arbitration and the International Chamber of Commerce. He mainly acts for clients in the banking, finance, advertising, and media industries but also has experience in a wide range of sectors, including energy, insurance, sports, and live events.
- 2019 – Jack Thorne is "unbelievably hardworking and a pleasure to work with"
- BPP Law School, Legal Practice Course, Distinction, 2010
- BPP Law School, Graduate Diploma in Law, Commendation, 2009
- University College London, B.A. Linguistics, 2008 (1st Class Hons., Dean's List)
Litigation and Arbitration
- Acting for Cabot Financial in multi-million pound Commercial Court proceedings relating to breaches of warranties contained in a share purchase agreement.
- Acting for a number of past and present employees of Lehman Brothers International (Europe) (in administration) in relation to the Waterfall III proceedings concerning the Lehman Brothers estate.
- Acting for the Special Liquidator of Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (in special liquidation) and associated persons in relation to various proceedings in India connected to the on-going and high-profile Irish litigation between IBRC and members of the Quinn Family and their associated persons and entities.
- Acting for Monaco Telecom in a multi-million pound claim concerning allegations of IP infringement brought against it in the Chancery Division.
- Acting for the claimant, a consumer lender, in successfully obtaining a freezing injunction and judgment in relation to claims against one of its former directors for misappropriation of company funds and failure to pay for allotted shares.
- Acting for the defendant, a global supplier and operator of offshore floating platforms, in High Court and Court of Appeal proceedings in Ghana relating to claims for injunctive relief and damages for inducement of breach of contract, conspiracy, and tortious interference with contractual and business relations.
- Advising a leading clothing retailer on various contentious matters arising out of its Company Voluntary Arrangement, including Part 8 proceedings brought by a creditor challenging the CVA on the basis of unfair prejudice under section 6 of the Insolvency Act 1986.
- Advising a telecommunications operator in respect of a proposed scheme of arrangement relating to the restructuring of obligations under senior secured notes.
- Acting for the defendant, a member of a global advertising group, in proceedings brought in Curacao concerning a multi-million pound claim for failure to make payment of the sale price for shares.
- Acting for the claimant, a multinational electric utility company, in an ICC arbitration concerning the contract price under an LNG supply contract.
- Acting for one of Asia’s leading sports marketing agencies on the enforcement of a Singaporean arbitral award against a Mauritian company in the English courts.
- Acting for the Trustees of a pension scheme in relation to a multi-million pound claim for professional negligence against the scheme’s administrators following a failure to properly equalize scheme benefits.
- Acting for a professional football club in High Court proceedings brought by a football agent for breach of contract relating to the transfer of four players.
- Acting for claimant and defendant companies in disputes concerning breach of restrictive covenants in employment contracts and/or breach of confidence.
- Acting for a number of international financial institutions in Europe and the Middle East in relation to multi-agency inquiries, including conducting internal investigations into alleged breaches of OFAC sanctions and reporting to OFAC and the DOJ.
- Advising a global pharmaceutical company in an internal anti-corruption investigation concerning its operations in Africa.
- Acting for a Brazilian aerospace conglomerate in relation to the implementation of an enhanced compliance program required as part of a deferred prosecution agreement entered into with the DOJ in relation to FCPA violations.
- Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales