Jeffrey Varga is of counsel in the Tax practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He focuses his practice on tax controversy and litigation. Mr. Varga has represented taxpayers in a variety of state, federal, and local tax matters, including complex tax cases before California courts of appeal and superior courts, the United States Tax Court, federal district courts, criminal investigations, and civil audits.
Before joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Varga served as a trial attorney with the Criminal Section of the Tax Division of the United States Department of Justice, where he was involved in all phases of criminal tax prosecutions. Mr. Varga also served as an Assistant United States Attorney in Los Angeles, where he handled civil tax cases before United States district and bankruptcy courts and California state courts.
- Received a United States Department of Justice Special Achievement Award for sustained superior performance as an Assistant United States Attorney
- While with the Justice Department and, later, with the United States Attorney’s office, Mr. Varga received numerous letters of commendation from Justice Department and Internal Revenue Service officials praising his representation of the government’s interests.
- Received a letter of commendation from a United States district judge for his superb preparation and excellent performance in a criminal tax trial
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 1978 (cum laude, San Diego Law Review, Executive Editor)
- University of California Los Angeles, B.A., 1972
Engagement & Publications
- Often speaks to bar and accounting groups on tax controversy and litigation matters
- Former president of the Association of Tax Counsel in Los Angeles, California
- Chaired the State and Local Tax Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Vice-chair of Paul Hastings firm-wide Pro Bono Committee