Lawrence D. Kaplan
Of Counsel, Corporate Department
华盛顿电话: 1(202) 551-1829
Lawrence D. Kaplan is Chair of the Bank Regulatory group in the Global Banking and Payments Systems practice. He advises clients on all aspects of bank regulatory issues, with an emphasis on corporate structuring, control, operations, compliance, problem banks, and enforcement.
Mr. Kaplan’s practice involves the representation of traditional and nontraditional financial services holding companies and financial entities in transactions and matters before federal and state bank regulatory agencies, including merger and acquisition transactions, capital raising activities, joint ventures, de novo charters, and novel product offerings including cryptocurrency activities of banks.
Mr. Kaplan has extensive experience advising clients through federal and state regulatory issues associated with the provision of financial services through technology and with consumer finance requirements.
Mr. Kaplan's practice also includes advising clients with respect to anti-money laundering and sanctions programs, as well as data security and privacy matters. In addition, Mr. Kaplan regularly advises clients with respect to the requirements imposed by the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, including issues under the Volcker Rule, as well as proposed reforms to financial services laws.
Mr. Kaplan is an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of Michigan Law School and he serves on the Board of Advisors for the Center for Banking and Finance at the University of North Carolina. He is a former director of Women in Housing Finance, in Washington, D.C.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1987
- University of Michigan Ann Arbor, B.A. with distinction, 1984
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent source for major media publications and financial news programs on banking matters
- Frequent public speaker on bank regulatory developments
- Author of numerous articles on financial services issues
- Co-authored Chapter 31 to E-Commerce & Internet Law –2nd Edition (2009) — "Online Financial Transactions and Payment Mechanisms."
- Served as senior attorney in the Chief Counsel’s Office of the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Thrift Supervision