Luis F. Gomar is a partner in the Corporate department of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Houston office. Mr. Gomar has over 18 years of experience advising on domestic and cross-border transactions in the energy, finance and private equity sectors.
Mr. Gomar counsels clients on both domestic and international transactions involving M&A, asset acquisition and divestitures, fund formations, joint ventures and strategic alliances, project development, and structured finance and equity products (including participating and non-participating preferred equity, convertible securities and related products). He regularly represents private equity sponsors or private equity backed management teams in connection with investments in energy and infrastructure assets.
Mr. Gomar regularly advises energy companies (power, oil and gas, and renewables) with project development, including the negotiation of EPCs, supply agreements, offtake and feedstock arrangements, and commercial contracts. Mr. Gomar’s experience expands across borders and has included most jurisdictions in Latin America, as well as Asia and EMEA regions.
- Best Lawyers of America, Oil and Gas Law (2023)
- IFLR 1000, M&A (2023)
- The Legal 500 US, Project Finance (2022)
- Recommended Attorney (Industry Focus: Energy: Transactions: Oil and Gas), The Legal 500 US, 2016
- Texas Rising Stars, Thomson Reuters (Mergers & Acquisitions), 2013, 2015
- Who's Who Legal: Mexico (Energy), 2017-2018
- Latin America’s Rising Legal Stars: Partners to Watch, Latinvex, 2015
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 2005
- University of Texas at El Paso, B.B.A., 2002
- Represented BHP in connection with sale of petroleum assets to Woodside Energy via merger for USD 21 billion.
- Led team representing Spearmint Energy in connection with investment from private equity sponsor to lunch new energy company with a focus on investment in Battery Energy Storage Systems across the U.S. equity firm.
- Led team representing Macquarie Equipment Capital, Inc., in connection with joint venture and preferred equity investment in food-grade PET manufacturer.
- Led team representing Compute North in connection with various 363 sales of assets related to its Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Led a team representing principals of Marc Jones Construction Company d/b/a SunPro, one of the largest residential solar panel installation companies in the United States, in the sale of 51% interest to a group of private equity firms sponsored by Compass Energy and MGG Investments for US$180 million.
- Represented Orange Solar in connection with sale of SunPro to ADP.
- Led team representing a Korean oil and gas company in connection with the disposition of U.S. GOM oil and gas assets to private equity sponsored management team.
- Led team representing a publicly traded Australian mining and petroleum conglomerate in connection with the potential acquisition of various U.S. GOM oil and gas assets.
- Led team representing Bahraini Family Office in connection with the sale, through the stock of Irish domiciled SPV, of two offshore rigs in Mexican Gulf of Mexico valued at US$140 million.
- Led team representing large Mexican Family Office in a series of preferred equity investments in various U.S. based energy and real estate ventures.
- Led team representing a European renewable energy developer in connection with the potential acquisition and development of solar projects in Texas totaling 850 MW of installed capacity for a total transaction value of US$675 Led team representing a Korean consolidated group in connection with the potential investment in a series of battery storage facilities totaling 60 MW of energy storage capacity in California.
- Led team representing a Mexican family office with various oil and gas investments in the United States.
Structured/Project Finance and Development
- Led a team representing Spearmint Energy in connection with US$200 million financing for the acquisition of and development of renewable energy assets across the US and Canada.
- Led a team representing PetroBal Upstream Delta 1, S.A. de C.V. (PetroBal), part of Grupo BAL, in connection with US$250 million reserves base lending (RBL) financing for the development of the Ichakil-Pokosh fields in shallow waters off the Mexican Gulf of Mexico.
- Led a team representing an integrated oil and gas company in connection with the development, including the negotiation of EPC and other project development contracts and the financing of a fuel storage terminal facility in Mexico valued at approx. US$137 million.
- Led a team representing a family office-backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a refinery in Honduras.
- Led a team representing a family office-backed management team in connection with the development and financing of a green fuel refinery, storage facility and dock in the Houston ship channel.
- Represents hedge funds, private equity funds, and hybrid funds pursuing a variety of investment strategies, including event- driven, asset-backed, oil and gas, real estate and funds of funds.
- Represents management companies, USCIS-approved EB5 regional centers and issuers in connection with fundraising, registration, investment activities (including negotiating side letters, direct equity, and other forms of convertible investments), marketing, ongoing compliance, and operational issues.
Engagement & Publications
- Co-author, “Outlook for US Renewable Energy Projects Following COVID-19,” Renewables Now, 2020
- State Bar of Texas
- Association of International Energy Negotiators (AIEN)
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Jewish Federation of Greater Houston, Secretary and Treasurer of Board of Trustees, 2019-present, Flood Committee, 2017-2018 Jewish Federations of North America, Emergency Committee, 2016-2020
- Holocaust Museum Houston, Board of Advisors, 2018-2021, Board of Trustees, 2021-present
- Stages Theatre, Board of Trustees, 2022-present