Robert Miller is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He concentrates his practice in corporate finance transactional work, including corporate buyouts and mergers, public and private placements of securities, venture capital, and investment partnerships. Mr. Miller represents corporate and financial buyers and sellers of businesses, issuers and investment bankers in securities offerings, and sponsors of investment partnerships. He also represents publicly and privately held companies on general corporate and securities matters. Mr. Miller has represented airline and other aviation clients in securities, financing, and other matters.
- Named as one of America’s leading lawyers for business in Chambers USA and The Legal 500
- Rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 1983
- University of North Dakota, B.S.B.A., 1976
- Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. (NYSE: JEC) in approximately 20 M&A transactions, including the $1.2 billion acquisition of Australian engineering consulting firm Sinclair Knight Merz, and the $913 million acquisition of the Process and Construction business from Aker Solutions ASA (listed on the Oslo Exchange);
- Platinum Equity in several transactions, including the $630 million acquisition of the fastener business of Textron Inc. (NYSE: TXT), rebranded as Acument Global Technologies, Inc., and represented Acument in the $300 million sale of its Cherry Aerospace Division to Precision Castparts Corp. (NYSE: PCP), and in the $405 million sale of its GEC and Avdel Divisions to an entity formed by CVC Private Equity Asia and Standard Charter Private Equity Limited. Also represented Platinum Equity in the ultimate sale of Acument to Fontana America Inc.;
- Vance Street Capital and its portfolio companies in multiple transactions, including the sale of Klune Industries to Precision Castparts Corp. (NYSE: PCP) for $275 million; the acquisition of A&E Medical, a leading cardiovascular medical device OEM; the acquisition of the cardiothoracic closure business from RTI Surgical, Inc. (NASDAQ: RTIX); and the acquisition from W.L. Gore & Associates, and subsequent sale to Spectrum Plastics Group, of Fermatex, a manufacturer of high pressure braided tubing and complex medical extrusions;
- Semtech Corporation (NASDAQ: SMTC) in its $180 million acquisition of Sierra Monolithics, Inc.;
- Avery Dennison Corporation (NYSE: AVY) in its €200 million acquisition of MACtac Europe from affiliates of Platinum Equity.
- Electrolux North America, Inc. in its acquisition of San Francisco start up Anova, a maker of connected devices for sous vide cooking, and in another confidential cross-border engagement;
- Bright Market LLC d/b/a/ FastSpring, a provider of cloud-based e-commerce and subscription billing platforms, in its $106 million sale to Accel-KKR;
- Zhonghong Zhuoye Group, a diversified holding company for investment in the tourism and cultural industries in China, in its acquisition of a 21% equity interest in SeaWorld (NYSE: SEAS) from certain funds affiliated with Blackstone for $448 million
Engagement & Publications
- Speaker on mergers and acquisitions, securities law, and related issues before business and bar groups
- Chair of the firm’s Global Corporate Department from 2005 to 2010, Vice Chair from 1992 to 2004, and Chair of the firm’s Los Angeles office from 2000 to 2004.