Sam Lawand is an associate in the Financial Restructuring group of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. Sam focuses on financial restructuring matters, including representations of creditors, purchasers, and other interested parties in recapitalizations, liability management transactions, chapter 11 bankruptcies, and cross-border proceedings. Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Sam clerked for the Honorable Robert E. Grossman of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- SMU Dedman School of Law, J.D. (with honors), 2015
- University of Texas, Dallas, B.S. (with high honors), 2010
- Represented Talen Energy Corporation and Cumulus Growth Holdings LLC on US$175 million strategic capital partnership with Orion Energy Partners.
- Represented Deutsche Bank AG New York Branch, as administrative agent, in the chapter 11 cases of Mallinckrodt plc.
- Represented Elliott Management Corporation in connection with the out-of-court recapitalization of Affinion Group Holdings, Inc.
- Represented crossholders of secured debt in the chapter 11 cases of EXCO Resources, Inc.
- Represented GSO Capital Partners in the chapter 11 cases of Gibson Brands, Inc.
- Represented Techniplas LLC in its chapter 11 cases.
Engagement & Publications
- Make-Whole Claims in Bankruptcy, 27 NORTON J. BANKR. L. & PRAC. 4 (Sept. 2018) (cited by Hon. Martin Glenn and Hon. Barbara Houser)
- Arbitration and Bankruptcy: A Tug of War, 33 REV. BANKING & FIN. SERV. 7 (July 2017)
- Security Interests in Proceeds of Collateral, 33 REV. BANKING & FIN. SERV. 2 (Feb. 2017)
- Deepening Split Between Circuits: Seventh Circuit Holds § 546(e) Safe Harbor Does Not Protect Transfers Conducted Through Financial Institutions Acting as Conduits, 2016 No. 12 NORTON BANKR. L. ADVISER 1 (Dec. 2016)
- Attention Foreign Companies: The Fifth Circuit is Armed with the Authority to Deny Enforcement of a Foreign Reorganization Plan, 2013 No. 12 NORTON BANKR. L. ADVISER 1 (Dec. 2013) (presented by Hon. Cecelia G. Morris in London and Italy)