Tara K. Giunta, a partner in the Litigation Department of Paul Hastings, is Co-Chair of its ESG & Sustainable Finance practice and a Member of the firm’s Investigations and White Collar Defense practice, which is routinely recognized by the Global Investigations Review (GIR) as a leading investigations practice and one of a handful of global “elite” practice groups. Ms. Giunta is a recognized risk, strategy and compliance expert and advisor to global companies on corporate governance and enterprise risk management. She advises C-suites and boards in identifying and mitigating risks, developing and enhancing compliance programs, investigating and remediating wrongdoing and/or internal control weaknesses, conducting compliance-related due diligence in M&A and other commercial transactions, and developing reporting and disclosure frameworks.
- Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, J.D., 1986
- Tufts University, B.A. (cum laude), 1980
- Giunta is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in DOJ and SEC investigations. We were also the head of the legal team that advised and coordinated the due diligence work, both before and after the conclusion of the company’s purchase of certain vaccine business units and the formation of a joint venture regarding health services, with a Swiss multinational pharmaceutical company. As part of this due diligence program, we lead a multi-jurisdictional risk review with a focus on Latin America.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Fortune 500 company in the defense sector involving a longstanding foreign subsidiary of the company, as well as its government customers and third parties both in the U.S., and the foreign jurisdiction. We worked closely with the company’s Legal Department and provided periodic reports to the General Counsel and the Board of Directors.
- On behalf of a multinational food and beverage company, conducted multijurisdictional risk assessment of the company’s operations in Asia, Latin America, the Middle East and Africa, to assure the effectiveness of the company’s global, regional, and local compliance policies, procedures, and practices. As part of that effort, we reviewed the company’s global operations, including, but not limited to, sales and marketing, manufacturing, entering new markets, supply chain, and logistics, interacting with government officials and regulatory agencies, and working with third parties.
Engagement & Publications
- Moderator, "HOW We Influence Corporate Behavior," Quorum HOW Forum, New York, November 2023
- Co-Speaker, "Identifying and Mitigating ESG-related Litigation and Enforcement Risk and Exposure," AICPA & CIMA Forensic & Valuation Services Conference, Las Vegas, November 2023
- Moderator, "Trailblazing Women Who Mean Business," Paul Hastings and KPMG, New York, November 2023
- “ESG (a/k/a ‘Emergent Risks’) in the United States”, T. Giunta, D. Cho, Spotlight Magazine, October 2023
- Co-speaker, “Regulatory Insights: Bridging the ESG Reporting Divide,” G&S Symposium, October 2023
- Co-speaker, “People & Planet: Developing a Supply Chain and Human Right Strategy”, SCCE 22nd Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute, Chicago, October 2023
- Moderator, “Public and Private Sector Partnership to Combat Corruption”, SCCE 22nd Annual Compliance & Ethics Institute, Chicago, October 2023
- Co-speaker, “BHR training for corporate counsel: Unlocking the ‘S’ in ESG”, Paul Hastings and International Bar Association, September 2023
- Co-Author, Bloomberg Law, ESG Toolkits for the Manufacturing, Mining, Extractives, Information Communications & Technology, Oil & Gas, and Apparel/Fashion industries (2023).
- 'Pushed Past Their Limits': As ESG Tensions Heat Up, Practitioners Are Burning Out, Survey Suggests, Law.com (July 18, 2023)
- Panelist, “Trade, Growth, And Investment: Navigating Sanctions And Regulation Towards Solvency", Tech Capital International Finance Forum 2023, London, May 2023.
- Speaker, "EU and US Approach to ESG: Recent Trends and Issues", ESG & Human Rights Paul Hastings, Paris, May 2023.
- "Human Rights Risks for Mining and Manufacturing: Lessons from Ten Years of the OECD Guidelines," T. Giunta, M. Farrell, R. Parras, N. Bonucci, and J. Drimmer, Stay Current, April 2023.
- "Don’t be Afraid of Mandatory Human Rights Due Diligence in the EU … It’s Already Here," T. Giunta, J. Drimmer, N. Bonucci, and R. Parras, Stay Current, April 2023.
- "Human Rights Risks for the Financial Sector: Lessons from Ten Years of the OECD Guidelines," T. Giunta, M. Farrell, N. Bonucci, R. Parras, & J. Drimmer, March 2023.
- Speaker, Practitioners' Panel, Inaugural Business and Human Rights Lawyers Association Event, New York, March 2023
- Speaker, "Cross-Border Corruption and Compliance," The Catholic University of America - Columbus School of Law, Washington DC, March 2023
- Panelist, "Women Leading Law," International Women's Day - Women's Business Collaborative, Washington DC, March 2023
- "Norway and the Right to Information Under Human Rights Principles," T. Giunta, J. Drimmer, N. Bonucci, & R. Parras, February 2023.
- Panelist; ABA Derivatives DEI Panel, February 2023.
- Panelist; "Policy and Perspective for the New Digital Infrastructure Era," ESG Panel, January 2023.
- “Top 10 Most Urgent Business and Human Rights Issues for 2023," T. Giunta, J. Drimmer, N. Bonucci and R. Parras, published by Corporate Counsel, December 2022.
- “Downstream Due Diligence: Regulation through Litigation," T. Giunta, J. Drimmer, N. Bonucci and R. Parras, republished by Lexology, December 2022.
- Speaker, “ESG – Role of IA and Compliance / Insights from LSHC Industry," The New England Healthcare Internal Auditors (NEHIA) and the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Compliance & Internal Audit Conference, Mystic, CT, December 2022.
- Moderator, “Mitigating Emerging ESG Litigation and Regulatory Risks," ACI's 2nd Annual Summit on ESG, New York, October 2022.
- PH Women's Initiative Leadership Series, San Francisco, October 2022.
- Speaker, “Compliance Due Diligence in Mergers & Acquisitions," MINI SUMMIT 22, Twenty-Third PCF Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Ethics and Compliance Congress, Washington, DC, October 2022.
- Moderator, “Survive or Thrive? Navigating the ESG Regulatory Landscape in Pharma," PH webinar, October 2022.
- “Ephemeral Messaging at the Office: Avoiding Pitfalls and Establishing Best Practices," T. Giunta, M. Spafford and B. Wilmot, Stay Current, October 2022.
- “The EU’s Proposed Regulation Prohibiting Products Made with Forced Labor on the EU Market,” T. Giunta, J. Drimmer, N. Bonucci and R. Parras, Stay Current, September 2022.
- “You Better Watch Out: A New EU Corporate Sustainability Reporting Directive is Seeing the Day,” T. Giunta, J. Drimmer, N. Bonucci and A. Giumarelli, Stay Current, July 2022.
- Panelist, “Creative Risk Management and Oversight,” Stanford Annual Directors’ College, California, June 2022.
- “Commenters Respond to the SEC’s Proposed Rules on Climate-Related Disclosures,” T. Giunta, D. Cho and M. Teague, Stay Current, June 2022.
- “ESG: Less Talk, More Walk, Mandatory Climate Disclosures Put Greenwashing in the Crosshairs,” T. Giunta and D. Cho, PH Credit Funds Spotlight, May 2022.
- “Carbon Offsets and Voluntary Carbon Markets - Opportunities and Uncertainty,” T. Giunta, M. Spafford, B. Wilmot, and P. Rinderer, Stay Current, July 2023.
- “Corporate Sustainability Due Diligence in the EU: Latest Updates and What to Expect Next,” T. Giunta, N. Bonucci, J. Drimmer, R. Parras, D. Cho, Stay Current, May 2023.
- Speaker, "BHR training for corporate counsel: Unlocking the 'S' in ESG", International Bar Association & Paul Hastings, New York and Washington DC, September 2023
- Board of Directors, The Thirty Percent Coalition
- Member, Advisory Council, Women Business Collaborative
- Member, Strategic Advisory Council, Catalyst
- Board Member, Integrity Initiatives International
- International Boards Committee Member, DirectWomen
- Visiting Professor, Catholic University Columbus School of Law, Conducting Internal Investigations and Developing Compliance Programs
- Member, Advisory Council, Communities Thrive, a joint venture of IREX and READ Global
- Honorary Director, Kidsave International
- Member, Women’s White Collar Defense Association (WWCDA) and Member of Development Committee, WWCDA DC Chapter