Uwe Halbig is a senior advisor to the Tax practice of the Paul Hastings Frankfurt office. Mr. Halbig advises German and international clients across a wide range of transactions and matters. He has significant experience in national and international mergers and acquisitions, tax oriented restructuring and banking and capital market products.
Prior to his affiliation with Paul Hastings, Mr. Halbig worked for several major law firms and auditing companies in Frankfurt.
Mr. Halbig completed his studies as a business engineer in Karlsruhe/ Germany in 1994, and was appointed as tax advisor in 1999 and as a German public auditor in 2001. Mr. Halbig provides advisory services and is not a licensed attorney.
- Appointment as public auditor, 2001
- Appointment as tax advisor, 1999
- Degree of business engineer of the Technical University of Karlsruhe, 1994
- Attestor Capital Ltd. in the acquisition (and its financing) of 51 per cent of the shares in Condor Flugdienst GmbH and investment in the aggregate amount of EUR 200,000,000 in Condor Flugdienst GmbH and envisaged conclusion of an equity leasing commitment in the aggregate amount of EUR 250,000,000 vis-à-vis Condor Flugdienst GmbH intended to be used for the renewal of their aircraft flee.
- Advised Cara Real Estate on the acquisition of the Frankfurt commercial property Untermainkai 27-28 from Credit Europe Bank. The office building, located directly on the banks of the Main River, has a rental area of approx. 4,000 square meters.
- Advised the Danish brewery group Carlsberg on the acquisition of Wernesgrüner Brauerei from Bitburger Braugruppe by Carlsberg Germany. Wernesgrüner is one of the most traditional German beer brands. The roots of the brewery can be traced back to the 15th century. The current brewery, which has been part of Bitburger Braugruppe since 2002, has an annual capacity of around 1 million hectoliters.
- Advised CONREN Land on the acquisition of the Hamburg commercial property "Neuer Hafenklang" from B&L Group. The office building has a rental area of around 4,700 square meters and is located not far from the Hamburg fish market.
- Advised Dexcom, Inc. (NASDAQ: DXCM), a leading manufacturer of blood pressure monitors (Dexcom G5 Mobile Continous Glucose Monitoring System) in connection with the acquisition of Nintamed Group in Germany, Austria and Switzerland.
- Founders of Four 20 Pharma GmbH, one of the largest and fully EU-GMP and GDP licensed distributors of medical cannabis producers with a market share of over 10% in Germany in connection with the sale of a 55% stake in the company by to Curaleaf International Holdings Limited, Guernsey, the European holding company of the Canadian-listed Curaleaf Holdings Inc., a publicly traded cannabis provider.
- GENUI Partners GmbH, the leading Germany-based investment firm. Our Germany-based private equity team advised GENUI in connection with GENUI Fund’s acquisition of all shares in GHM Group from VR Equitypartner and BayernLB Private Equity, and related financing. GHM Group is a leading measurement and control technology specialist in the field of industrial sensors and electronics, environmental measurement technology and mobile measurement devices. GHM Group has production sites in Germany and Italy and is globally active through sales companies and commercial agents.
- Advised Hansol on its acquisition of all share capital of R+S Group GmbH, a thermal paper converting company in Germany, and on the acquisition of Schades Group from Capidea Kapital, a Danish private equity fund.
- Advised Nexter Systems SA on the defense Joint Venture with Nexter Systems SA and Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co. KG.
- Weber Holding GmbH in purchasing the majority of assets from Weber Automotive GmbH in insolvency proceedings. With the closing, the Weber family became the sole owner of the newly founded Weber Holding GmbH and its operating subsidiaries. The new company will initiate a strategic transformation program from its core power trained business to a diversified model including emission-free drives and production processes.
Engagement & Publications
- Corporate restructuring: Waiver or subordination, StuB 2006, 175
- Tax consequences of current value depreciations of shares in equity funds, DStR 2005, 1669
- Optimization of portfolio disposals with regard to financing and tax issues, Börsenzeitung, 1 October 2005
- Avoidance of taxation within the restructuring, FAZ, 28. September 2005
- Participation certificates - An interesting way of mezzanine financing for medium-sized enterprises, FinanzBetrieb 2005, 1
- Member of the Chamber of Tax Advisors in Hessen
- Member of the Chamber of Public Auditors