Vitaliy Kats is an associate in the Investigations and White Collar Defense practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on securities enforcement litigation, white-collar criminal defense, and a wide variety of other matters related to federal securities law and commercial litigation. Mr. Kats has defended companies and individuals in every phase of litigation and government enforcement, from investigation through trial and appeal.
Mr. Kats served as a judicial law clerk in the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida and the Florida Second District Court of Appeal. Between clerkships, Mr. Kats served as an associate in two other international law firms based in Washington, D.C. and Tampa, Florida. He received his law degree from the University of Florida Levin College of Law, where he was the Executive Articles Editor of the Florida Law Review. Prior to law school, Mr. Kats earned his Bachelor's Degree at Emory University.
Mr. Kats is admitted to practice law in Florida and Washington, D.C.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 2015
- Emory University Goizueta Business School, B.B.A, 2012
- Represented the founder and former Chief Executive Officer of the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty commercial battery, electric and fuel-cell vehicles in a criminal securities fraud trial in the Southern District of New York, relating to allegations that the founder and former Chief Executive Officer made material misrepresentations to investors.
- Obtained reversal in appeal of order denying motion to compel arbitration in putative class action for breach of contract against one of the nation’s largest student loan servicers.
- Obtained affirmance in appeal of district court order determining corporate control of Venezuelan television network in a lawsuit against a rival network.
- Obtained dismissal of putative class action against fertilizer manufacturer in putative class action based on violation of a state statue imposing strict liability for discharge of pollutants and hazardous substances.
- Obtained dismissal of negligence and loss of consortium claims against medical device manufacturer based on allegedly inadequate labeling of prosthetic heart valve.
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit against medical device manufacturer for loss of consortium by widow alleging that her deceased husband’s organs had been unlawfully removed for transplantation without her consent.
- Represented regional utilities provider in putative class action alleging that the provider’s power plant elevated cancer rates in nearby communities.
- Represented various servicers of residential mortgages in 50+ appeals to state intermediate appellate courts.
Matters may have been completed before joining Paul Hastings.