Nicholas A. Bassett
Partner, Corporate Department
Washington, D.C.Phone: 1(202) 551-1902
Nicholas Bassett is Partner in the Financial Restructuring group of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on restructuring, bankruptcy, and creditors’ rights litigation. Mr. Bassett has more than a decade of experience representing creditors and debtors in complex restructuring and insolvency matters, both domestically in chapter 11 proceedings and internationally in cross-border cases. He has extensive experience litigating all aspects of adversary proceedings and contested matters arising in bankruptcy cases, including the handling of discovery, motion practice, trials, and appeals. Mr. Bassett has also represented corporate clients in general commercial litigation matters and government investigations.
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D. (with honors), 2006
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, B.S. (with highest distinction), 2003
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. in the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history, including by prosecuting and settling avoidance actions against various counterparties to pre-bankruptcy transactions.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of the U.S. subsidiaries of Takata Corporation in their chapter 11 proceedings following the largest automotive recall in U.S. history.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Arcapita Bank in adversary proceedings to recover preferential transfers from two Bahraini banks, including a successful appeal of personal jurisdiction issues to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a German bank client in defense of claims filed by joint liquidators of Bernie Madoff-related feeder funds to recover redemption payments made by the funds prior to the discovery of the massive Madoff fraud.
- Represented an ad hoc group of bondholders in the cross-border insolvency proceedings of Nortel Networks Inc., including the litigation of a more than $7 billion asset allocation dispute between the U.S. Nortel entities and their foreign affiliates.
- Represented an ad hoc committee of senior noteholders in the chapter 11 proceedings of Vanguard Natural Resources LLC.