Michael J. Downey is chair of the Hong Kong Employment Law practice at Paul Hastings. He has over 17 years of experience in advising a broad range of international clients, including Fortune 500 multinational and substantial financial services companies, on employment and labor law matters in China, Hong Kong and the Asia-Pacific region. Mr. Downey and members of his practice provide advice on employment issues to both US-based companies and other multinational companies with operations throughout China and the Asia-Pacific region. Clients assisted by Mr. Downey include multinational corporations and employers in the insurance, airline, luxury goods, hotel, shipping, education, banking, electronic products, financial services, communications, construction and technology fields.
- University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Law, LLM, 1991
- University of Otago School of Law, LLB, 1980
- University of Otago, B.A., 1975
Engagement & Publications
- Published extensively on labor and employment in China and Hong Kong. His published works have established themselves as standard texts for both legal practitioners and a wider audience.
- Admitted to practice in Hong Kong