Edward Han, Vice Chair of the Palo Alto office, is a partner in the Litigation Department at Paul Hastings and a member of the Securities Litigation practice group. Mr. Han’s practice focuses on securities enforcement matters, internal investigations, and securities and complex business litigation in both federal and state courts. He has extensive experience representing clients in shareholder class action lawsuits, derivative litigation, and commercial disputes. In addition, he has also represented clients in cases brought under California’s Unfair Business Practices Act (Business & Professions Code Sections 17200 and 17500, et seq.) and Consumer Legal Remedies Act (Civil Code Section 1750, et seq.).
Finally, Mr. Han has significant experience representing clients in investigations initiated by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission, as well as other federal and state agencies and self-regulatory organizations, including investigations concerning the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Mr. Han has been a speaker on securities litigation-related matters at a number of programs and seminars. He has also been quoted in various periodicals. Mr. Han has authored or co-authored numerous articles, including, most recently, those listed below.
- The Legal 500 USA, Securities Litigation: Defense (2022)
- Recognized by Northern California Super Lawyers as a "Rising Star" in securities litigation
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law, J.D., 1998
- University of California at Davis, A.B., 1994
- A biopharmaceutical company and certain of its directors and officers in securities class action lawsuits related to statements made concerning COVID-19
- A blockchain investment company in a breach of contract dispute with one of its portfolio companies
- A biopharmaceutical company in an action related to an investment in a clinical stage biotechnology company
- A global investment bank in litigation matters related to strategic and financial advice concerning various mergers and acquisitions
- A private equity firm in a securities lawsuit brought by shareholders of an acquired company
- A blockchain technology company and certain of its officers in trade secret and trade libel litigation filed in multiple jurisdictions
- A founder in an action against his co-founder related to trade secret misappropriation and fiduciary duty claims
- The former directors and officers of one of the largest oil field services companies in the world in a securities class action lawsuit related to the company's merger with an oil segment of a large conglomerate
- A former executive in criminal and civil litigation related to an acquisition of a foreign software company that engaged in alleged accounting fraud
- An audit committee of a board of directors of a company that designs and manufactures computer memory products in conducting an internal investigation related to SOX-compliance and internal controls issues
- A biopharmaceutical company in an action related to payments and testing performed by a provider in a clinical study
- A foreign petrochemical company in a dispute with its joint venture partners related to an option agreement and the acquisition of membership interests
- An online and mobile gaming company in an action filed by investors in an initial coin offering
- The managing member and related members in a real estate investment limited liability company in a dispute against other members related to the sale of an office building
- An audit committee of a board of directors of a company that provides electronic and mobile payment solutions for self-service, point of sale market clients in conducting an internal investigation related to revenue recognition and sales practices issues
- A real estate investment limited liability company and its managing member in an action filed by a member alleging fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and derivative claims related to distributions and the sale and management of an office building
- An audit committee of a board of directors of a company that provides tax-advantaged consumer-directed health, commuter, and employee spending benefits in conducting an internal investigation related to revenue recognition issues
- A biotherapeutics company in responding to a books and records demand and proxy challenge from an activist investor
- An audit committee of a board of directors of a renewable energy company in conducting an internal investigation related to the company’s cash forecasting and liquidity
- A Korea-based electronics company in litigation filed in multiple courts related to its acquisition of a public company that designed audio and visual products and services for automakers and consumers (the acquisition was the largest Korean outbound M&A transaction on record)
- An officer of a China-based company in a securities class action lawsuit, as well as investigations, related to the financial statements and customer relationships disclosed by the company
- A Philippines-based company in lawsuits filed in state and federal court related to a terminated stock purchase agreement
- An oil and gas company in multiple class actions and derivative litigation related to FCPA issues
- A controlling shareholder in multiple class action lawsuits related to a going private transaction
- A valve manufacturing company in an SEC investigation related to FCPA and revenue recognition issues concerning a former foreign subsidiary
- An international law firm in an action filed by an SEC Receiver arising out of an alleged multi-billion dollar Ponzi scheme
- A molecular diagnostics company and its directors and officers in a series of lawsuits filed by shareholders related to an annual meeting and threatened proxy contest
- A provider of printed circuit board engineering and manufacturing services and its board of directors in class action lawsuits filed by shareholders related to the company's merger with a technology company
- An Internet infrastructure services provider and its board of directors in a derivative action related to executive compensation and compliance with IRS rules
- A hedge fund in multiple insider trading investigations
- The former officers and directors of a cable partnership in a securities class action lawsuit related to the sale of the partnership’s assets
- An investment bank in multiple securities fraud lawsuits related to the sale of mortgage-backed securities
- A special committee of an audio entertainment company in conducting an internal investigation related to allegations concerning implementation of a new ERP system
- A water valve manufacturing company with foreign subsidiaries in conducting an internal investigation related to potential FCPA violations
- A hedge fund in conducting an internal investigation related to allegations from a foreign securities regulator of inappropriate trading activities involving foreign securities
- A hedge fund and its investment officers in a lawsuit brought by an investor relating to a private company investment
- An audit committee of a board of directors of a company that provides wireless broadband access solutions in conducting an internal investigation related to revenue recognition issues
- A semiconductor manufacturing company in an SEC investigation related to disclosure and expense reimbursement issues
- A hedge fund and its chief investment officer in an insider trading investigation
- An engineering and construction services company in an internal investigation related to potential FCPA violations
- A special committee of an internet security services provider in conducting an internal investigation related to revenue recognition issues
- An internet infrastructure services provider in DOJ and SEC investigations, as well as derivative actions, related to options backdating allegations
- An internet automobile services-related company and its directors and officers in securities class action and derivative lawsuits, as well as M&A-related actions, arising from a multi-year restatement
- The largest energy provider in the Midwest and several of its subsidiaries in an SEC investigation, as well as in securities class action and derivative lawsuits, arising from an over $800 million dollar restatement
- The largest computer retailer in the country in a series of lawsuits brought under California's Unfair Business Practices Act arising from allegations of deceptive sales practices
- Paul Hastings Named to World’s Top 10 Best Investigations Practices by Global Investigations Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Lotte Chemical USA Sells Membership Interests in LACC to Eagle US for US$816.5 million - November 14th, 2019
- Samsung Electronics Acquires HARMAN for US$8 Billion - November 15th, 2016
- Paul Hastings Represents David Murdock in Historic Second Going Private Transaction for Dole Food Company - November 1st, 2013
- Paul Hastings Represents Vermillion Inc. in Successful Defeat of Shareholder Lawsuit - November 16th, 2012
- Federal Court Dismisses Derivative Complaint Seeking to Impose ESG Initiatives on a Public Company - March 23rd, 2021
- Post-Closing Claims Alleging Uninformed and Coerced Stockholder Vote Survive Motion to Dismiss - April 6th, 2017
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Winter 2016 - January 3rd, 2017
- Gift Giving and Insider Trading: The Supreme Court Rules in Government’s Favor in Significant Insider Trading Case - December 7th, 2016
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Spring 2016 - July 14th, 2016
- Hedge Fund Report: Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2015 - December 21st, 2015
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Spring 2015 - June 1st, 2015
- Hedge Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Fall 2014 - December 23rd, 2014
- Oregon Pub. Employees Ret. Fund v. Apollo Grp. Inc.: Ninth Circuit Applies Heightened Pleading Standards to All Elements of Securities Fraud Actions - December 18th, 2014
- The Naked Truth: The Court in Overstock.com Case Grapples with the Intricacies of Naked Short Sales - December 5th, 2014
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Spring 2014 - May 16th, 2014
- Hedge Fund Report: Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2015 - October 9th, 2013
- SEC's Guilt Admission Policy May Bring Pricey Trials - July 23rd, 2013
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Spring 2013 - April 25th, 2013
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2012 - December 5th, 2012
- In re Pacific Pictures Corp.: Ninth Circuit Rejects Selective Waiver of Attorney-Client Privilege - April 25th, 2012
- An Investment Adviser Cannot Be Sued in Private Action Under Rule10B-5 for Inaccurate Statements in a Mutual Fund Prospectus - June 14th, 2011
- Hedge Fund Report Summary of Key Developments - Spring 2011 - April 25th, 2011
- Supreme Court to Review Direct Liability of Investment Adviser for Prospectus Disclosure - August 2nd, 2010
- Supreme Court Upholds Constitutionality of the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board, Requires Changes to its Oversight Structure But Declines to Invalidate SOX - July 6th, 2010
Engagement & Publications
- "Hedge/Private Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments," Paul Hastings (Biannual updates 2009-2018).
- "Post-Closing Claims Alleging Uninformed and Coerced Stockholder Vote Survive Motion to Dismiss," Stay Current Client Alert from Paul Hastings (April 2017).
- "Delaware Courts Dismiss Records Action," Daily Journal (October 2016).
- "Why Section 11 Class Actions Are Proliferating in California, " Law360 (April 2015).
- "Oregon Pub. Employees Ret. Fund v. Apollo Grp. Inc.: Ninth Circuit Applies Heightened Pleading Standards to All Elements of Securities Fraud Actions," Stay Current Client Alert from Paul Hastings (December 2014), reprinted in Law360 (December 2014).
- "SEC's Guilt Admission Policy May Bring Pricey Trials," Law360 (July 2013).
- "In re Pacific Pictures Corp.: Ninth Circuit Rejects 'Selective Waiver' of Attorney-Client Privilege," Stay Current Client Alert from Paul Hastings (April 2012).
- "An Investment Adviser Cannot Be Sued in Private Action Under Rule 10b-5 for Inaccurate Statements in a Mutual Fund Prospectus," Stay Current Client Alert from Paul Hastings (June 2011).