Partner, Corporate Department
Matthew Poxon is a partner in our Corporate practice of Paul Hastings, based in our London office. Mr. Poxon advises clients on significiant corporate matters globally, with a particular focus on mergers and acquistions. His broad corporate practice covers all aspects of global M&A and Private Equity transactions, including private acquisitions and disposals, public takeovers and joint ventures, as well as equity capital markets and governance matters.
Matthew has been recognized by Chambers UK, and recommended by Legal500, for Corporate/M&A.
- Ranked in Chambers UK, Corporate/M&A.
- One of the 40 Under 40 Rising Stars in Private Equity, 2019, as awarded by Legal Week.
- Mr. Poxon has been recommended in Legal 500, UK (Corporate/M&A: High-End Capability — London) since 2015.
- Mr. Poxon earned an MA honours degree in Law at St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge University in 2003
- Completed his Legal Practice Course in 2005 at Nottingham Law School
Recent Public M&A highlights
- Theta Bidco Ltd (a newly incorporated company owned by joint offerors IHC Industrial Holding LLC and Tasheel Holding Group LLC) on its acquisition of Arena Events Group plc, a leading turnkey events solutions provider, by way of court-sanctioned scheme of arrangement.
- Six BidCo Ltd (a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of investment funds managed by PineBridge Benson Elliot) on its acquisition of Sigma Capital Group plc, a leading provider of Private Rented Sector housing in the UK.
- Masimo LHC Limited, a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of Masimo Corporation, on its recommended cash acquisition of the entire issued and to be issued share capital of LidCo Group plc.
Recent Private M&A Highlights
- A&K Travel Group, the Heritage-owned travel group, on its acquisition of two luxury cruise vessels, Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony and certain Crystal cruises intellectual property in order to relaunch the cruise line.
- City Football Group Limited, the owner and operator of football clubs, with total or partial ownership of clubs in eight major cities across the world: Manchester City in the UK, New York City FC in the US, Melbourne FC in Australia, Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan, Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay, Girona Futbol Club in Spain, Sichuan Jiuniu FC in China and Mumbai City Football Club in India on:
- the investment by a consortium of high-profile Chinese institutional investors led by China Media Capital in 2015;
- the investment by U.S. private equity firm Silver Lake, which saw Silver Lake invest $500 million for just over 10% of the company’s post-investment equity, valuing the business at approximately $4.8 billion;
- its acquisition (with UBTECH and China Sports Capital) of Sichuan Jiuniu FC; and
- its acquisition of a majority stake in the Indian Super League’s Mumbai City Football Club.
- A&K Travel Group on its acquisition of a controlling interest in Ecoventura, as well as the creation of a joint venture, headed by Santiago Dunn in his new role as CEO of A&K South America.
- Karl Storz, on its acquisition of AvantaMed, and emerging medical device company that is focused on simplifying surgical procedures and reducing costs.
Recent Private Equity highlights
- Symphony Technology Group, a leading California-based private equity firm, on its acquisition of the commodities business of Brady Technologies Group, a leading global trading, risk and logistics software provider for the energy sector.
- Symphony Technology Group on its acquisition of Alveo (rebranded from Asset Control in 2020) from Sovereign Capital. Alveo provides financial data management software to a range of large financial institutions.
- May River Capital, on certain portfolio bolt on acquisitions in the UK.
General Corporate and Capital Markets highlights
- Bank of London, which became the sixth clearing bank in the UK and the second to be authorised in the past 250 years, on all of its equity raises since 2018.
- The Ad Hoc Committee of Tier 2 noteholders, who have become the majority shareholders, on corporate law matters in relation to The Co-operative Bank p.l.c.
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., on certain issuances of depository receipts in its capacity as the depository bank.
- Mr. Poxon spent six months on secondment to the depositary receipts team at JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in 2013.
- Paul Hastings Advises SAI360 in Evotix Acquisition - May 5th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Again Recognized by Chambers Europe 2023 - March 20th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advised Carlyle in Acquisition Financing of Atalian and OCS - March 10th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Again Receives Top Rankings in Chambers UK 2023 - October 20th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Advises Shareholder Hanwha Systems on Proposed Combination between OneWeb and Eutelsat - July 28th, 2022
- A&K Travel Group Ltd Acquires Luxury Cruise Vessels Crystal Serenity and Crystal Symphony - June 24th, 2022
- FCDE Signs An Exclusivity Agreement With Cobham - March 17th, 2022
- Theta Bidco Ltd (a newly incorporated company owned by joint offerors IHC Industrial Holding LLC and Tasheel Holding Group LLC) acquires Arena Events Group Plc - March 14th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom 2022 - October 1st, 2021
- Moody's to Acquire RMS for $2 Billion - August 5th, 2021
- Six BidCo Ltd (a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of investment funds managed by PineBridge Benson Elliot) acquires Sigma Capital Group plc - June 11th, 2021
- Madison Industries Agrees to Acquire Nortek Air for $3.63 Billion - April 19th, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ Securities and Capital Markets Practice Logs Record Year - January 13th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named “Transatlantic Firm of the Year” at British Legal Awards 2020 - November 19th, 2020
- Masimo LHC Ltd offer for LiDCO Group Plc - November 2nd, 2020
- Abry-backed LINK Mobility Group lists on Oslo Børs - October 23rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Leads Nominations for 2020 British Legal Awards - September 28th, 2020
- Oakley Capital Sells atHome Group to Mayfair Equity Partners - February 24th, 2020
- City Football Group Announces $500 Million Strategic Investment by Silver Lake; Acquires Majority Stake in Mumbai City Football Club - December 17th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Awards for “Dealmaker of the Year” and “Women in Law” at British Legal Awards 2019 - November 22nd, 2019
- Paul Hastings Again Receives Top Rankings in Chambers UK 2023 - October 20th, 2022
- Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom - October 1st, 2021
- The Deal Names Paul Hastings Middle-Market Law Firm of the Year and Anu Balasubramanian as Private Equity Dealmaker of the Year - November 7th, 2019
- Recognized as a Private Equity Rising Star by Legal Week - October 22nd, 2019
- Recognized by Legal Week and American Lawyer as M&A Team of the Year and Private Equity Team of the Year - June 14th, 2019
- The Financial Times Recognizes Paul Hastings for Innovation in Europe - October 5th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Named Finance Team of the Year at The Lawyer Awards 2018 - June 27th, 2018
- Prioritising Globalisation, Innovation, and Purpose for Future Growth - April 27th, 2021
- The Future of Fintech in the U.K. – The Kalifa Review - March 8th, 2021
- “Stuck in the Middle With You”: U.S.-China Relations and the Impact on European Businesses - November 24th, 2020
- “SPAC” to the Future? - October 13th, 2020
- European Guide to Government Aid Introduced in Response to COVID-19 - April 30th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Force Majeure and the Doctrine of Frustration in Light of COVID-19 - March 19th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Força Maior e a Doutrina da Frustração à luz da COVID-19 - March 19th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: UK Economic Response to COVID-19 - March 18th, 2020
- Cross-border M&A: A Different Mindset - November 18th, 2019
- Low Value of Pound Spurs Investment - September 5th, 2019
- Avoiding Russian Roulette with Rights of First Offer in Shareholders’ Agreements - November 19th, 2018
- Takeover Regulation in the U.K. – Bidding War for Sky plc Resolved by Rare Auction Process - October 9th, 2018
- Establishing Business in the UK - May 9th, 2017
- BREXIT—The UK’s Departure from the Single Market - January 18th, 2017
- Schemes of Arrangement in UK Public M&A: High Court Declines to Apply the Ramsay Principle - December 6th, 2016
- Heightened Disclosure Obligations in Respect of Controllers of UK Companies and LLPs - February 22nd, 2016
- Takeover Regulation in the UK - February 16th, 2016
- Changes to AIM Rules for Investing Companies - January 12th, 2016
- Proposed Changes to the Rules on Delaying Disclosure of Inside Information - December 7th, 2015
- UK Patent Box Update - November 24th, 2015