Matthew Poxon is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's London office. Mr. Poxon has a broad corporate practice, covering all aspects of global M&A and Private Equity transactions, including private acquisitions and disposals, public takeovers and joint ventures, as well as equity capital markets and general advisory matters.
- One of the 40 Under 40 Rising Stars in Private Equity, 2019, as awarded by Legal Week.
- Mr. Poxon has been recommended in Legal 500, UK (Corporate/M&A: High-End Capability — London) since 2015.
- Mr. Poxon earned an MA honours degree in Law at St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge University in 2003
- Completed his Legal Practice Course in 2005 at Nottingham Law School
Recent M&A highlights
- City Football Group Limited, the owner and operator of football clubs, with total or partial ownership of clubs in eight major cities across the world: Manchester City in the UK, New York City FC in the US, Melbourne FC in Australia, Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan, Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay, Girona Futbol Club in Spain, Sichuan Jiuniu FC in China and Mumbai City Football Club in India on:
- the investment by a consortium of high-profile Chinese institutional investors led by China Media Capital in 2015;
- the investment by U.S. private equity firm Silver Lake, which saw Silver Lake invest $500 million for just over 10% of the company’s post-investment equity, valuing the business at approximately $4.8 billion;
- its acquisition (with UBTECH and China Sports Capital) of Sichuan Jiuniu FC; and
- its acquisition of a majority stake in the Indian Super League’s Mumbai City Football Club.
- DXC Technology Company, on its acquisition of the shares in Virtual Clarity that DXC did not already own following its 2017 strategic investment in Virtual Clarity.
- Jacobs Engineering Group on its acquisition of Wood Group’s Nuclear business in the UK, Europe, and the Far East for £250 million.
- Teleperformance SE on its acquisition of Intelenet, a major global provider of omnichannel customer experience management, back-office, human resources and financial and administration services from Blackstone for a total consideration of $1 billion (enterprise value).
- The Ad Hoc Committee of Tier 2 noteholders on the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers and corporate law aspects capital raising plan for The Co-operative Bank p.l.c.
- Haitong International (BVI) Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Haitong International Securities Group Limited, on its recommended cash acquisition of Japaninvest Group PLC, to be effected by means of a UK Scheme of Arrangement and in accordance with the UK Takeover Code, which was the first time a UK Scheme of Arrangement had been used in a takeover of Japanese-listed company.
Recent Private Equity highlights
- Abry Partners II, LLC, on its disposal of a majority interest in AddSecure to funds advised by Castik Capital S.à r.l..
- Oakley Capital, on its agreements to acquire leading maritime e-learning businesses Seagull and Videotel. Oakley Capital partnered with the management teams of Seagull and Videotel to acquire majority stakes in the businesses from their current shareholders, Herkules Private Equity and KVH Industries, respectively.
- Abry Partners II, LLC, the media, communications, business and information services focused private equity investment firm, on its recommended voluntary cash offer to acquire all shares in LINK Mobility Group ASA at an offer price that values Link Mobility Group ASA at NOK 3,396 million (€357 million). Winner of Private Equity Deal of the Year, Transatlantic Legal Awards 2019.
- Fosun Property, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Resolution Property Investment Management, the London-based private equity real estate fund manager.
Capital Markets highlights
- Sagicor Financial Corporation Limited, on the London Stock Exchange aspects of the business combination with Alignvest Acquisition II Corporation, a special purpose acquisition corporation listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Tiso Blackstar Group SE on the readmission of the enlarged issued share capital of Tiso Blackstar on AIM.
- Citigroup, Société Général and Raiffeisen Bank, on the initial public offering of Romania’s leading state-owned electricity distributor and supplier, Electrica S.A..
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., as the depository bank on the admission and listing of IG Seismic Services plc’s GDRs to the Official List of the U.K Listing Authority and to trading on the London Stock Exchange.
- Mr. Poxon spent six months on secondment to the depositary receipts team at JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in 2013.
- Paul Hastings Practices and Lawyers Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom 2022 - October 1st, 2021
- Moody's to Acquire RMS for $2 Billion - August 5th, 2021
- Six BidCo Ltd (a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary of investment funds managed by PineBridge Benson Elliot) acquires Sigma Capital Group plc - June 11th, 2021
- Madison Industries Agrees to Acquire Nortek Air for $3.63 Billion - April 19th, 2021
- Paul Hastings’ Securities and Capital Markets Practice Logs Record Year - January 13th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named “Transatlantic Firm of the Year” at British Legal Awards 2020 - November 19th, 2020
- Masimo LHC Ltd offer for LiDCO Group Plc - November 2nd, 2020
- Abry-backed LINK Mobility Group lists on Oslo Børs - October 23rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Leads Nominations for 2020 British Legal Awards - September 28th, 2020
- Oakley Capital Sells atHome Group to Mayfair Equity Partners - February 24th, 2020
- City Football Group Announces $500 Million Strategic Investment by Silver Lake; Acquires Majority Stake in Mumbai City Football Club - December 17th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Awards for “Dealmaker of the Year” and “Women in Law” at British Legal Awards 2019 - November 22nd, 2019
- DXC Technology Acquires Virtual Clarity - November 8th, 2019
- Abry Partners Sells Majority Interest in AddSecure to Castik Capital - September 26th, 2019
- Jacobs to Acquire Wood's Nuclear Business - August 20th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins "M&A Team of the Year" and "Private Equity Team of the Year" - June 14th, 2019
- Paul Hastings’ London M&A Team Closes a Flurry of Deals - May 16th, 2019
- Oakley Capital Acquires Seagull and Videotel - May 14th, 2019
- Salt Sells Phone Towers to Cellnex for €0.7 Billion - May 13th, 2019
- LINK Mobility Acquires Netsize - January 4th, 2019
- Recognized for Excellence in Legal 500 United Kingdom - October 1st, 2021
- The Deal Names Paul Hastings Middle-Market Law Firm of the Year and Anu Balasubramanian as Private Equity Dealmaker of the Year - November 7th, 2019
- Recognized as a Private Equity Rising Star by Legal Week - October 22nd, 2019
- Recognized by Legal Week and American Lawyer as M&A Team of the Year and Private Equity Team of the Year - June 14th, 2019
- The Financial Times Recognizes Paul Hastings for Innovation in Europe - October 5th, 2018
- Paul Hastings Named Finance Team of the Year at The Lawyer Awards 2018 - June 27th, 2018
- Prioritising Globalisation, Innovation, and Purpose for Future Growth - April 27th, 2021
- The Future of Fintech in the U.K. – The Kalifa Review - March 8th, 2021
- “Stuck in the Middle With You”: U.S.-China Relations and the Impact on European Businesses - November 24th, 2020
- “SPAC” to the Future? - October 13th, 2020
- European Guide to Government Aid Introduced in Response to COVID-19 - April 30th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Force Majeure and the Doctrine of Frustration in Light of COVID-19 - March 19th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: Força Maior e a Doutrina da Frustração à luz da COVID-19 - March 19th, 2020
- PH COVID-19 Client Alert Series: UK Economic Response to COVID-19 - March 18th, 2020
- Cross-border M&A: A Different Mindset - November 18th, 2019
- Low Value of Pound Spurs Investment - September 5th, 2019
- Avoiding Russian Roulette with Rights of First Offer in Shareholders’ Agreements - November 19th, 2018
- Takeover Regulation in the U.K. – Bidding War for Sky plc Resolved by Rare Auction Process - October 9th, 2018
- Establishing Business in the UK - May 9th, 2017
- BREXIT—The UK’s Departure from the Single Market - January 18th, 2017
- Schemes of Arrangement in UK Public M&A: High Court Declines to Apply the Ramsay Principle - December 6th, 2016
- Heightened Disclosure Obligations in Respect of Controllers of UK Companies and LLPs - February 22nd, 2016
- Takeover Regulation in the UK - February 16th, 2016
- Changes to AIM Rules for Investing Companies - January 12th, 2016
- Proposed Changes to the Rules on Delaying Disclosure of Inside Information - December 7th, 2015
- UK Patent Box Update - November 24th, 2015