Sophie Han is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings. Her practice focuses on cross-border corporate transactions, outbound and inbound investment matters and mergers and acquisitions in China. Ms. Han is also experienced in compliance matters relating to FCPA and China compliance regulations, handling internal investigations, government enforcement actions, and proactive reviews.
Ms. Han received a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from Shanghai International Studies University in 2007 and a Master of Laws (LL.M.) from Stanford Law School in 2012. She passed the Chinese bar in 2007 but does not hold a current practicing certificate.
- Stanford Law School, LL.M., 2012
- Shanghai International Studies University, LL.B., 2007
- Advised Huayi Brothers, a Chinese multinational entertainment company, on the US$30 million convertible note investment by Tencent, a Chinese internet-based technology and cultural enterprise.
- Advised CDH Genetech Limited, part of the CDH Investments group, in its US$1.4 billion agreement to acquire all the issued shares of Sirtex Medical Limited, an Australian medical device company, through a Scheme of Arrangement.
- Advised COSCO SHIPPING Holdings Co., Ltd., the largest integrated shipping company in China, on its voluntary general cash offer for all of the issued shares of Orient Overseas (International) Limited, made by the wholly-owned subsidiaries of COSCO SHIPPING Holdings and Shanghai International Port (Group) Co., Ltd. for a total value of up to US$6.3 billion pursuant to the Hong Kong Takeovers Code. This complex transaction constitutes a very substantial acquisition of COSCO SHIPPING Holdings under the Hong Kong Listing Rules and involved global legal issues relating to M&A, anti-trust and competition, and CFIUS.
- Advised a leading Chinese international conglomerate in its investment in an artworks collection company with global presence.
- Advised Pineapple Pie Holding (Lizhi FM) in its Series C, C-1 and Series D financing transactions.
- Advised a global investment management corporation in its acquisition of a shopping mall in Chengdu and the related secured loan facilities.
- Advised China Media Capital in its acquisition of an approximate 47% stake in Star China TV, the controller of the producer of the popular music show Voice of China, from 21st Century Fox.
- Advised two Chinese sovereign wealth funds in a variety of asset management and hedge/PE fund transactions.
- Seconded to a Chinese sovereign wealth fund and advised on dozens of hedge/PE fund transactions.
- Advised mandated lead arrangers, underwriters and bookrunners in connection with a secured term loan facility and revolving facility to a vehicle wholly-owned by a Real Estate Investment Trust.
- Advised one of China’s largest private conglomerates in its group restructuring of more than 100 Chinese and offshore companies.
- Advised Morgan Stanley in its acquisition of a 30% equity interest in Motel 168.
- Represented multiple companies in conducting numerous internal investigations regarding their business operations in China involving improper payments, off-label promotion, embezzlement, and books and records violations.
- Represented a joint venture between Jaguar Growth Partners and JHJ Logistics in conducting compliance review on its acquisition of Brilliant Enterprise Management Consulting, a leading warehouse, distribution and logistics property company in China.
- Seconded as corporate counsel and led compliance investigations at a leading global pharmaceutical company’s China office during a period in which the company was under a DOJ/SEC self-reporting obligation.
- Seconded as investigations lead at a China joint venture between two leading pharmaceutical companies.
- Paul Hastings Recognized as Top Asia-related SPAC Legal Adviser in Asia Business Law Journal League Table - December 2nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized with M&A Deal of the Year at ALB Hong Kong Law Awards 2021 - September 13th, 2021
- Financial Times Recognizes Paul Hastings For Innovation in Asia-Pacific - May 20th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized at China Business Law Awards 2021 - May 18th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named ALB China Employer of Choice 2021 for the Sixth Consecutive Year - April 22nd, 2021
- Paul Hastings Recognized at China Law & Practice Awards 2020 - October 19th, 2020
- Jaguar Growth Partners and JHJ Logistics Acquire Brilliant, a Leading China Logistics Property Company - March 17th, 2020
- CDH Investments to Acquire Sirtex for US$1.4 Billion - June 14th, 2018
- COSCO SHIPPING Holdings’ Proposed Acquisition of Orient Overseas - July 10th, 2017
- Paul Hastings Advises Mandated Lead Arrangers on Secured Term Loan Facility - May 14th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Advises Mandated Lead Arrangers on Secured Term Loan Facility - May 6th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Advises China Media Capital on Acquisition of Star China TV - January 7th, 2014
- Local Compliance Code: The China Pharmaceutical Industry Association (CPIA) Sets Its Compliance Management Standards - September 9th, 2021
- New National Security Review Process in China - January 19th, 2021
- New PRC Foreign Investment Law Delivers Investor-Friendly Reforms - March 25th, 2019
- China Streamlines Foreign Investment – New Filing Regime - October 11th, 2016
- China Opens Door to Foreign Payment Service Providers - July 19th, 2013
- New SAFE Circular 59: Further Relaxation of Foreign Exchange Controls over Inbound and Outbound Investments - November 26th, 2012