Todd Schneider is a partner in the Palo Alto office of Paul Hastings. Mr. Schneider’s practice covers a broad range of commercial transactions and counseling involving intellectual property and technology. Mr. Schneider regularly advises clients in connection with mergers and acquisitions, finance and restructuring transactions involving intellectual property, and strategic technology agreements. Mr. Schneider also oversees the firm’s trademark prosecution practice, and has extensive experience working on securities offerings. Mr. Schneider regularly prepares and negotiates a wide array of commercial agreements, including collaboration, license, reseller, manufacturing, and software as a service (SaaS) agreements. He also counsels clients with respect to open source matters. Mr. Schneider has experience in numerous industries, including in the high-tech, life sciences, media and entertainment, apparel, food, medical devices, and real estate industries.
Mr. Schneider is a member of the State Bar of California and is admitted to practice at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- San Diego Super Lawyer recognized Mr. Schneider as a Top Rated Intellectual Property Attorney in its 2019 edition and as an Intellectual Property "Rising Star" in its 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018 editions
- University of San Diego, J.D., 2008 (Phi Delta Phi Honor Society)
- University of Notre Dame, B.S., Computer Science, 2005 (Upsilon Pi Epsilon Honor Society)
- Accelrys, an R&D software and services company, in its $750 million sale to Dassault Systèmes.
- The Boeing Company in several transactions, including its acquisition of ForeFlight LLC, a provider of mobile and web-based aviation applications, and its strategic partnership with Kitty Hawk’s Cora division to advance urban air mobility.
- Brocade Communications Systems in several transactions, including its $1.2 billion acquisition of Ruckus Wireless and its acquisition of the SteelApp application delivery control business of Riverbed Technology.
- General Electric Company and its subsidiaries in several transactions, including:
- the acquisition of RMI, a rail software and services provider;
- the acquisition of Critical Technologies, a supplier of cloud-based digital records management solutions;
- the acquisition of Wise.io, a provider of machine-learning powered services;
- the acquisition of ShipXpress, a provider of cloud-based supply chain software solutions;
- the sale of Vital Signs, Inc., a manufacturer of single-patient-use consumables for respiratory care and anesthesiology, to CareFusion Corp.;
- the sale of Thomas Medical Products, Inc. to Merit Medical Systems, Inc.;
- the sale of GE Transportation’s rail signaling business to Alstom for approximately $800 million; and
- a joint venture with Allegheny Technologies Incorporated for the development of meltless titanium alloy powder manufacturing technology for use in additive manufacturing applications.
- The underwriters, led by Goldman, Sachs & Co. and Deutsche Bank Securities, in the initial public offering of Envivio, Inc., a software-based video processing and delivery solutions company.
- The Greenbrier Companies in several transactions, including its acquisition of the manufacturing business of American Railcar Industries from ITE Management.
- Intel Corporation in several transactions, including its acquisition of Omnitek, a provider of optimized video and vision FPGA IP solutions, and its acquisition of Barefoot Networks, a provider of Ethernet switch silicon and software for use in data centers.
- Inverness Graham in several transactions, including its acquisition of Kalkomey Enterprises, a provider of SaaS-based online recreational safety education, and its acquisition of SwipeClock, a provider of cloud based timekeeping and scheduling solutions.
- Jacobs Engineering Group in several transactions, including its $1.2 billion acquisition of Sinclair Knight Merz and its $913 million acquisition of the process and construction business from Oslo-listed Aker Solutions.
- Marvel Entertainment in its $4 billion sale to The Walt Disney Company.
- Piper Jaffray and Citigroup as joint book-running managers on the initial public offering of voxeljet AG, a provider of high-speed, large-format 3D printers and on-demand parts services.
- Piper Jaffray and Credit Suisse as joint book-running managers on the initial public offering of Materialise NV, a provider of additive manufacturing software and 3D printing services.
- Samsung Electronics in several transactions, including:
- the $8 billion acquisition of Harman International Industries, a provider of connected products and solutions for automakers, consumers, and enterprises;
- the acquisition of CSR plc’s mobile connectivity and location technology;
- the acquisition of the Nexus division of ITC Nexus Holding Company;
- the acquisition of Nanoradio AB; and
- the $1.4 billion sale of its hard disk drive business to Seagate Technology.
- Telogis, a provider of location intelligence solutions, in numerous strategic transactions and licensing matters, including its acquisitions of Maptuit, Navtrak, the mobile resources and fleet management solutions business of Intergis, and Remote Dynamics, and the sale of Telogis to Verizon Communications.
- Vivendi in connection with its majority investment in Radionomy Group, an online radio network.
- Wells Fargo Capital Finance in connection with various financing transactions, including with AFS Technologies, JDA Software Group, Inc., and Sage Software Healthcare, LLC.
- Moove Acquires PetroChoice from Golden Gate Capital - May 23rd, 2022
- Sensata Technologies to Acquire Dynapower - May 9th, 2022
- ScottsMiracle-Gro Acquires Luxx Lighting - January 7th, 2022
- Industrial Growth Partners Completes $600 Million Sale of Royal Power Solutions to Eaton - January 5th, 2022
- Teleperformance Group Acquires Senture - December 28th, 2021
- Francisco Partners Announces Sale of Quest Software - November 30th, 2021
- Proctor & Gamble to Acquire Farmacy Beauty - November 16th, 2021
- Foxconn and Lordstown Motors Enter Into a Transformative, Strategic Partnership - November 10th, 2021
- Vance Street Capital Partners Acquires McFarlane Aviation - October 27th, 2021
- Cheetah Digital to Merge with CM Group - October 21st, 2021
- Moody's to Acquire RMS for $2 Billion - August 5th, 2021
- Taboola Acquires Connexity from Symphony Technology Group - July 23rd, 2021
- Seaport Global Acquisition Corp. Announces Business Combination with Apollo Portfolio Company Redbox - May 17th, 2021
- Jasper Therapeutics to Merge with Amplitude Healthcare Acquisition Corporation to Create a Publicly Listed Leading Biotechnology Company in Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation - May 6th, 2021
- Madison Industries Agrees to Acquire Nortek Air for $3.63 Billion - April 19th, 2021
- Merck Announces Agreement to Acquire Alydia Health Before Spinoff of Organon - March 30th, 2021
- XOMA and Viracta Therapeutics Announce Multi-License Milestone and Royalty Monetization Transaction - March 23rd, 2021
- Spectrum Equity LLC Sells Spectrum Parent Inc. to HealthPro Holdings - March 10th, 2021
- Enova Combines its ODX Business with Fundation to Form Market-Leading Digital Account Origination Company - March 1st, 2021
- Francisco Partners to Acquire Forcepoint from Raytheon Technologies - October 28th, 2020
Engagement & Publications
- "Key Areas For Reviewing Software-As-A-Service Agreements," Law360 (December 1, 2017)
- "Rediscover the Law: Joint Authorship Requires More than the Authors’ Intent to Merge Their Contributions," IP Today (June 2012)
- "Don’t Miss the Mark: Why Deal Makers Should Not Overlook Recent False Marking Statute Decisions," IP Frontline (July 2011)
- "Intellectual Property Indemnification Obligations: Liability for Combinations," Los Angeles Daily Journal (December 14, 2010)
- "Further Guidance on Browsewrap User Agreements," Law360 (October 27, 2009)