Clare Mao is a China Associate in the Shanghai Office. Her practice focuses on internal investigations, regulatory compliance matters and cross-border dispute resolution in China.
Ms. Mao passed the bar in China in 2017, but does not hold a current practicing certificate.
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University, LL.M., 2021
- Beijing Normal University, LL.B. & A., 2018
- Representing a multinational business software corporation in internal investigations of its operations in Greater China in connection with whistleblower allegations, bribery and corruption, revenue recognition, and suspected fraudulent practices.
- Conducted internal investigations for a leading investment fund into embezzlement, improper payments, and other financial integrity issues in connection with the fund’s portfolio company.
- Conducted a series of internal investigations on behalf of several global biopharmaceutical companies for its mainland China operations involving improper payments, books and records violations, and other compliance-related issues.
- Participated in compliance monitoring programs for a leading investment fund concerning its equity investment in several portfolio companies in the healthcare industry.
- Representing a private equity real estate fund in parallel HKIAC and CIETAC arbitrations arising out of a PRC-foreign real estate joint venture dispute in excess of US$200 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in a HKIAC arbitration arising out of its acquisition of a leading software company in China from a U.S.-listed conglomerate.