Sameer P. Sheikh is an associate in the Fintech & Payments and Investigations & White Collar Defense practices. He is based in the Washington, D.C. office.
Mr. Sheikh is a litigator and trial attorney whose clients are individuals and companies in both the financial services and venture capital industries. Whether he is counseling an emerging growth company or a venture investor, Mr. Sheikh takes pride in developing business-minded strategies and solutions to complex legal and regulatory challenges.
In addition, Mr. Sheikh regularly represents companies and individuals in investigations and enforcement actions initiated by the Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, Department of Justice, and state attorneys general.
Mr. Sheikh maintains an active pro bono practice. He has authored and submitted successful amicus briefs on behalf of more than a dozen national civil rights and social justice groups in trial and appellate courts, including in the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch - Antitrust Law and Appellate Practice (2021, 2022)
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 2013
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2006
LITIGATION AND PRE-LITIGATION COUNSELING
- Successfully resolved numerous business and partnership disputes, including through the negotiation of confidential settlement and separation agreements.
- Represent consumer financial services companies in actions brought by CFPB.
- Obtained early dismissal of complaint's sole claim against financial services client in multi-party litigation in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Member of litigation and trial team that obtained a $255 million judgment in a False Claims Act case (jury verdict upheld on appeal to 11th Circuit).
- Defended a former president of an insurance company in a complex commercial dispute and fraud case that resulted in the mid-trial dismissal of all claims against the client.
- Counsel in non-public confidential Federal Trade Commission and state attorneys general investigations.
- Counsel in CFPB investigations of companies and individuals in the student loan servicing, consumer lending, and credit services industries.
Engagement & Publications
- Presentation to Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC): "It's All Fun and GameStop Until...: Securities and Regulatory Risks in the New Era of Retail Trading." February 2021. Speaker.