Alex Chan is an Associate of Paul Hastings. After joining the firm as a trainee solicitor, Alex was involved in advising clients on a broad range of corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions and finance. He was also involved in advising clients on cross-border dispute resolution matters. Alex is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and an associate member of the Hong Kong Institute of Arbitrators.
Prior to joining the firm, Alex worked at two litigation law firms, in Palo Alto, California and Hong Kong. Alex received the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws and was awarded a Juris Doctor degree from the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He also obtained a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in Economics and Linguistics, from the University of California, Berkeley. He is fluent in English, Cantonese, and Mandarin.
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, P.C.LL. 2020
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong, J.D. 2019
- University of California, Berkeley, B.A. (Linguistics and Economics) 2016
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed property developer and its subsidiaries in the sale of their interests in a retail-led mixed-use development southwestern China to another Hong Kong-listed property developer for US$800 million. Advised a Singapore-listed global real estate investment manager and a Dutch investment management company in their acquisition of a portfolio of companies that own and lease self-storage properties in Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea and Taiwan.
- Advised the manager and the trustee of a real estate investment trust in a series of share transfers in and financial assistance by four Hong Kong entities, and in the secured lending of US$437,000,000 and US$900,000,000 to finance the transfers.
- Advised a Hong Kong-and Shanghai-listed pharmaceutical company on its subscription of new pre-Series A shares of a private medical-imaging research and distribution company in Hong Kong.
- Advised issuers, guarantors, managers and arrangers in primary and tap issuances, tender offers, exchange offers, and listings of medium term note programs and bonds denominated in various currencies in Hong Kong, Macau and Singapore.
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed biopharmaceutical conglomerate in its HKIAC arbitration with a counterparty.
- Advised the founders of a medical-consultation platform in resisting redemption attempts and their boardroom disputes with investors-appointed directors.
- Advised a Shanghai-listed manufacturer and distributor in resisting a foreign judgment in Hong Kong.
- Advised a Shanghai-listed pharmaceutical company in its pre-arbitration and settlement negotiations with a minority shareholder of and the winding up proceedings of their joint venture group.
- Advised the director of a Hong Kong subsidiary of a nationwide sportswear retailer in its winding up proceedings in Hong Kong.
- Advised a U.S. and UK-listed pharmaceutical and biotechnology company on numerous disputes arising out of an asset-purchase license agreement and the underlying deliverables.
- Advised a creditor in the winding-up proceedings of an investment fund in the Cayman Islands.
- Advised an Indian manufacturer and supplier of carbon black additives in pre-arbitration negotiations.
- Advised a Hong Kong and Shanghai-listed pharmaceutical company on its negotiations with the Department of Justice of Hong Kong.
- Advised four charitable associations on pro bono basis in establishing their presence in Hong Kong, applying for tax exemption and applying for removal of the word "Limited" in the company name.
Engagement & Publications
- The Duties of Impartiality, Disclosure, and Confidentiality: Lessons from a London-seated Arbitration, Arbitration International, Volume 37, Issue 3, September 2021, Pages 667-684 (July 12, 2021)
- Exit from Periodic Joint-tenancy: What “Bare Trust”, Exactly?, Trusts & Trustees, Volume 29, Issue 1, February 2023, Pages 28-37 (November 9, 2022)