Amin Doulai is a partner in the Global Finance practice of Paul Hastings based in the firm’s London office.
Mr. Doulai advises senior and junior creditors, alternative capital and private credit funds, as well as listed and private companies, family offices, and private equity houses in relation to all aspects of secured and unsecured debt financing transactions and corporate finance matters.
Mr. Doulai specialises in European and transatlantic leveraged and corporate acquisition finance transactions, general corporate financings, distressed financings and restructurings, and subordinated debt structures (including holdco financings and preferred equity investments).
- Amin was part of the Paul Hastings team that was named "M&A Team of the Year (Large Deal)" and "Private Equity Deal of the Year" at the Transatlantic Legal Awards 2019, hosted by Legal Week and The American Lawyer. The M&A deal featured was Teleperformance’s acquisition of Intelenet, and the private equity deal was Abry Partners’ acquisition of Link Mobility.
- Amin was awarded the Paul Hastings "Pro Bono Innovator of the Year Award" in 2019 for assisting in the firm’s collaborative partnership with the Youth Justice Legal Centre of Just for Kids Law, a leading U.K. children’s charity.
- Amin was part of the Paul Hastings team that was presented with the inaugural award for “Excellence in Access to Justice” at the Law Society Excellence Awards 2019. The award—“to recognise those who champion access to legal services for those who need it most”—was for Paul Hastings’ partnership with multiple charities (particularly the Youth Justice Legal Centre and Just For Kids Law).
- The College of Law, Sydney, Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice, 2008
- The University of Wollongong, Australia, Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), 2007
- The University of Wollongong, Australia, Bachelor of Commerce (Economics & International Studies) (with Distinction), 2007
Mr. Doulai's notable representations include:
Private equity representations
- Advised Intermediate Capital Group (ICG) on a comprehensive financing package to support its investment in Iver Holding AB alongside management and other shareholders
- Advised Abry Partners in respect of a unitranche financing provided by Barings and ICG to support the recommended public-to-private acquisition of LINK Mobility Group. This deal was awarded the 2019 "Private Equity Deal of the Year" at the Transatlantic Legal Awards and the 2019 "Most Innovative Deal of the Year" by The Deal.
- Advised Abry Partners in relation to a proposed unitranche and holdco PIK financing to support its bid for a wealth management company.
- Advised Abry Partners in relation to the financing aspects of its disposal of Basefarm to the Orange Group.
- Advised Abry Partners in relation to the financing of various bid processes.
- Advised Oakley Capital in connection with the debt financing for its investment in Dexters, the London estate agency.
- Advised Oakley Capital on a committed senior facility financing in respect of its acquisition of maritime e-learning businesses Seagull and Videotel
- Advised Insight Partners in connection with a cov-lite unitranche financing for its investment in IAD.
- Advised Ambienta in respect of the refinancing of its investment in Namirial SpA.
Private credit representations
- Advised Barings on the financing for the acquisition of Trace One by STG.
- Advised Barings on the acquisition financing of Exclaimer Group Limited, a portfolio company of Insight Partners.
- Advised Barings in relation to the proposed financing supporting a sponsor’s bid for a payment services business.
- Advised Metric Capital Partners, a leading pan-European capital fund advisor, in connection with its strategic structured investment in certain subsidiaries of Eurohold Bulgaria AD, to support Eurohold’s acquisition of the Bulgarian electricity distribution, supply and trading business of Czech energy group, CEZ
- Advised a leading private debt fund in relation to a senior and holdco PIK financing package to support the acquisition of a leading European consumer business.
- Advised Sixth Street in relation to the financing supporting Marlin’s investment in Medius.
- Advised Sixth Street in relation to various bid processes.
Public M&A and syndicated lending representations
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers on a $3 billion financing package for Bain Capital’s acquisition of a majority stake in Kantar from British multinational advertising and public relations firm WPP.
- Advised the mandated lead arrangers in connection with a US$1,580 million financing package in relation to Nordic Capital’s acquisition of Advanz Pharma.
- Advised Nomura and Natixis as arrangers of various financings for Sebia, a portfolio company of CVC.
- Advised Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. in connection with the financing of its US$5.3 billion public acquisition of Amlin plc
- Advised P. Morgan Securities LLC as financial advisor to Equinix, Inc. in connection with the financing of the US$3.6 billion public acquisition of Telecity Group plc
Project and corporate financings
- Advised Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs as global coordinators for the debut US$325 million high-yield notes issuance of ADES International, a leading oil & gas drilling and production services provider in the Middle East and North Africa
- Advised the syndicate of lenders consisting of China Development Bank, SMBC and the Colombian development institution Financiera de Desarrollo Nacional, in the dual-currency COP-USD financing of circa US$652 million, for the development, construction, and operation of the 4G road Autopista al Mar 2 in Colombia
- Advised VTTI B.V. with the refinancing of its €500 million and US$270 million revolving credit facilities and the establishment of a new US$650 million revolving credit facility
- Advised Jacobs Engineering Group, Inc. and Jacobs U.K. Limited in connection with a $1 billion term loan facility
- Advised EchoStar Corporation in the cross-border refinancing and reorganization of the capital structure of Globalstar, Inc., including a new second lien facility, comprising a US$190 million term loan facility and common stock warrants
- Advised certain funds managed by Brookfield Infrastructure in connection with a secured refinancing package, supporting its investment in TDF, the French telecommunication infrastructure business
- Advised Brookfield Business Partners in relation to the financing aspects of the merger of two of its portfolio companies, U.K.-headquartered Greenergy, an international supplier of transportation fuels, and BG Fuels, a leading Canadian gasoline and convenience retailer
- Advised the Boparan Group in connection with its refinancing of existing senior notes and existing term and revolving loans by way of the issuance of £475 million of senior notes and the establishment of a £90 million ssRCF.
- Advised HellermannTyton in the establishment of an €80 million super senior revolving facility agreement in connection with its €215 million senior secured notes offering
- Advised Avanza Spain S.A.U. in the establishment of a €50 million super senior revolving credit facility in connection with its €315 million and €175 million 144A/Reg. S notes offering
- Advised TMF Group in connection with the refinancing of its €645 million high yield bonds with a €660 million covenant-lite Term Loan B and a €90 million revolving credit facility
Distressed financings and restructurings
- Advised Outokumpu Oyj in connection with the comprehensive restructuring of its debt facilities, including the establishment of a new €500 million liquidity facility and refinancing of its €900 million revolving credit facility
- Advised Central European Distribution Corporation in its US$665 million debt restructuring and acquisition by Russian Standard Corporation
- Advised Seat Pagine Gialle S.p.A. in its filing for a composition with creditors for the restructuring of its senior secured bonds and debt facilities
- Advised 20:20 Mobile Group in the restructuring of its debt facilities
- Advised Global Cloud Xchange in connection with its corporate debt restructurings.
Pro bono representations
- Pro bono representation of Just for Kids Law on various matters.
- Paul Hastings advises ICG on the financing for its investment in Iver Holding AB - September 7th, 2021
- Paul Hastings advises Metric Capital in connection with the financing of Eurohold’s acquisition of CEZ - July 27th, 2021
- Financing for the acquisition of Trace One - April 29th, 2021
- $1.6 Billion Financing Announced for Nordic Capital’s Acquisition of ADVANZ PHARMA - April 7th, 2021
- Jacobs Engineering Obtains $1 Billion Term Loan Facility - March 27th, 2020
- Greenergy Announces Merger with Canada’s BG Fuels - February 12th, 2020
- Echostar Provides Financing for Globalstar, Inc. - December 4th, 2019
- Paul Hastings Wins Award for "Excellence in Access to Justice" - October 24th, 2019
- Autopista al Mar 2 Secures $652 Million, Dual-Tranche, Dual Currency Project Financing - August 1st, 2019
- $3 Billion Financing Announced for Bain’s Acquisition of Kantar from WPP - July 12th, 2019
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Goldman Sachs Lead Debut High-Yield Notes Issuance for ADES International - April 26th, 2019
- Funds Managed by Abry Partners II, LLC Acquire Link Mobility Group ASA - July 2nd, 2018
Engagement & Publications
- Paul Hastings Translates Trends in Transatlantic Acquisition Finance, The Lawyer, May 2020
- A Comparison of Key Provisions in U.S. and European Leveraged Loan Agreements, International Comparative Legal Guides—Lending & Secured Finance, 2014 – 2017
- Realising What It’s Worth: Duties of Secured Lenders, International Financial Law Review, May 2016
- Till Default Do Us Part: Facility Agreements and Acceleration, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, October 2013
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia