Brian Stief is a senior associate in the Financial Services—Investigations, Regulation, and Litigation group at Paul Hastings, and is based in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on representing companies in the mortgage lending, mortgage servicing and consumer finance industries on federal and state regulatory compliance matters and defending clients subject to government investigations and enforcement proceedings. Mr. Stief's experience includes matters initiated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), and state regulatory agencies.
- Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D. (cum laude), 2011
- Virginia Tech, B.A., 2007
- Counseled clients on federal and state consumer credit laws, including the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Housing Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), and others.
- Conducted regulatory-due diligence reviews for portfolio acquisitions of, or investments in, consumer financial products, including mortgage loans, unsecured consumer loans, and specialty finance products such as shared equity investments and business-purpose residential real estate-secured mortgage loans.
- Advised companies on the development of, or investment in, products for the financing and/or acquisition of residential dwellings and home improvements, including shared appreciation and equity-based products.
Supervisory and Enforcement
- Represented banks and non-bank companies in CFPB, HUD, and DOJ enforcement investigations concerning a broad range of issues, including fair lending, credit reporting, and unfair, deceptive, and abusive acts and practices (UDAAPs).
- Advised clients regarding consumer remediation plans in connection with possible UDAAPs or other regulatory violations.
- Assisted company in responding to OFAC subpoena.
- Assisted mortgage servicer in preparations for CFPB examination.