Bryan Parr is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. His practice focuses on white-collar defense and regulatory compliance matters around the world, with particular emphasis on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and anticorruption.
Mr. Parr routinely represents clients in conjunction with investigations and defense, risk assessments and due diligence, independent compliance monitorships, and compliance program enhancements. He has acted as the senior lawyer on matters around the world, with a focus in Brazil and Latin America. He has significant experience in matters involving life sciences, mining and extractive, and aerospace and defense industries.
Mr. Parr has defended a range of companies and individuals in Department of Justice, SEC, and CFTC investigations and enforcement actions. Mr. Parr has also represented clients in civil matters, both in federal courts and in commercial arbitrations.
Mr. Parr is proficient in Portuguese, French, and Spanish, and works professionally in all three languages on a regular basis.
- Paul Hastings Championed as Most Impressive Investigations Practice by Global Investigations Review - November 10th, 2021
- Recognized by Legal 500 Latin America: International Law Firms – Compliance and Investigations (2021)
- Recognized as a "Rising Star" by the 2014 – 2018 editions of Washington, DC Super Lawyers magazine
- University of Virginia, School of Law, J.D.
- Duke University, B.A. (magna cum laude)
Investigations and White Collar Defense
- Representing Companhia Energética de Minas Gerais – CEMIG, the largest integrated power group in Brazil, in an independent investigation of potential FCPA violations
- Represented multiple South American companies, including Embraer, Braskem, and SQM, regarding enhancements to their anti-corruption compliance programs, interactions with independent compliance monitors, and related reporting required as part of DOJ and SEC FCPA resolutions
- Conducted investigations of potential kickbacks, management misconduct, and FCPA violations for multiple South American companies
- Led investigations of possible FCPA violations for major pharmaceutical company relating to operations in Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica and Central America
- Represented an international medical device company in FCPA investigations before the DOJ FCPA Unit involving Mexico, Brazil, and various other countries
- Represented a Brazilian company in investigation and defense of potential FCPA violations
- Defended a Brazil-based aerospace and defense executive in DOJ, SEC, and corporate investigations of possible FCPA violations
- Represented a major petroleum services company in investigations regarding potential management conflicts of interest and FCPA violations involving Mexican operations
- Represented a Fortune 500 engineering, construction, and services company in investigations of potential FCPA violations involving operations in Algeria
- Represented a Fortune 500 diversified industrial company in various internal and US governmental investigations of possible FCPA violations in Europe and Asia
- Conducted due diligence and internal investigations regarding India- and Latin America-based operations for a major petroleum company
- Represented a major petroleum services company in investigations of management misconduct and potential FCPA violations involving operations in Kazakhstan
- Represented a Fortune 500 retailer in an internal investigation of possible FCPA violations in Mexico
- Defended a Brazil-based money manager in an SEC investigation
- Defended a privately held energy company in a CFTC investigation
FCPA Risk Assessments, Diligence, and Counseling
- Advising a European transportation conglomerate in connection with post-acquisition compliance integration and due diligence
- Advising U.S. aerospace and defense company regarding potential investments in Brazil, CIS, and Africa
- Represented Generate Capital, a leading sustainable infrastructure company which owns and operates more than 2,000 assets globally, in its equity investment in Conasa Infraestructura S.A., an owner and operator of concessions in water, wastewater sanitation, highway and public lighting across Brazil
- Representing multiple South American companies regarding enhancements to their anti-corruption compliance programs
- Represented multiple multi-national pharmaceutical companies in various anti-bribery and anti-corruption due diligence and integration efforts, following multi-billion-dollar JV formations and M&A transactions
- Conducted risk assessment on Argentinian operations of a Fortune 100 food and beverage company
- Conducted a global fraud and anti-corruption risk assessment of a newly acquired subsidiary operating in over 70 countries for a multinational telecommunications and technology company, with particular focus in Latin America
- Conducted risk assessments and acquisition due diligence on possible corporate targets in the Middle East and Latin America for a Fortune 500 company
- Counseled a Fortune 500 company on its regulatory and FCPA compliance program, policies, and procedures
Litigation and Arbitration
- Represented a Brazilian mining company in resolving U.S. commercial disputes relating to criminal proceedings in Brazil
- Defended a mining company in federal litigation of claims under the Alien Tort Statute and Torture Victims Protection Act arising from operations in Colombia
- Represented a construction firm in an expert determination arising from construction and engineering contracts relating to West African mining concessions
- Represented a media company in federal litigation of securities fraud and breach of contract claims