Jamie S. Gardner
Attorney, Litigation Department
Washington, D.C.Phone: 1(202) 551-1963
Jamie Gardner is of counsel in the Investigations and White Collar Defense practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. She concentrates her practice in complex criminal and civil litigation, representing individuals and companies in investigations and in the trial and appellate courts throughout the country.
Ms. Gardner has handled a wide variety of white collar criminal matters including investigations and prosecutions by the Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), allegations of securities fraud and insider trading as well as violations of other federal and state criminal law. She has represented major international corporations and labor organizations in a broad range of industries.
Recently, Ms. Gardner represented several foreign corporations in some of the largest FCPA investigations ever resolved by the DOJ and the SEC. She has special experience in cases involving corruption, legal ethics and professional responsibility. Her clients have included a member of the United States Senate, lawyers, law firms and other professionals in connection with criminal and Office of Inspector General (OIG) investigations and prosecutions, ethics violation investigations and related civil litigation.
Before joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Gardner was a partner at another international law firm where she represented clients in complex civil and criminal cases, including witnesses and targets in state and federal grand jury and Independent Counsel investigations. She also served as the co-chair of the firm’s training program.
Ms. Gardner has extensive litigation experience having served as the Chief of the Trial Division of the District of Columbia Public Defender Service and as a trial and appellate attorney in that office for 12 years. She was lead counsel in numerous jury and bench trials and has also handled complex arbitration hearings.
Before entering private practice, Ms. Gardner taught in the Criminal Justice Institute at Harvard Law School and was a visiting professor at the Georgetown University Law Center. She has taught legal ethics, evidence, trial advocacy, criminal law and procedure to lawyers and law students throughout the country for the past three decades.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1983, cum laude (editorial staff, American Criminal Law Review)
- Tufts University, B.A., 1980, magna cum laude
- Court Admissions: U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Represented a French corporation in a DOJ investigation for violations of the FCPA in projects around the world resulting in the largest ever FCPA settlement with DOJ.
- Represented a French corporation in a DOJ investigation for violations of the FCPA in Nigeria resulting in deferred prosecution agreement.
- Represented a French corporation in DOJ and SEC investigations for violations of the FCPA in Iran resulting in deferred prosecution agreement.
- Represented a member of the United States Senate in an investigation of alleged corruption resulting in no criminal charges.
- Represented a law firm in investigation of alleged corruption in connection with campaign contributions resulting in no criminal charges.
- Represented a name partner at a major plaintiffs’ class action law firm charged with criminal violations as well as numerous related civil actions and arbitration proceedings.
- Represented a lawyer in DOJ and SEC investigations of securities fraud and insider trading and related offenses.
- Represented an individual charged with criminal violations in connection with the United Nations Oil-for-Food Program.
- Represented an international corporation based in the U.K. in Congressional investigation and criminal investigation in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a witness in the Independent Counsel investigation of former President Bill Clinton.
- Paul Hastings Celebrated as Most Impressive Investigations Practice at Global Investigations Review’s Annual Awards - November 10th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named to World’s Top 10 Best Investigations Practices by Global Investigations Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Investigations and White Collar Defense Practice Named Most Impressive Investigations Practice by Leading Industry Publication Global Investigations Review - October 31st, 2017
- Board of Trustees, Public Defender Service for the District of Columbia
- Board of Directors, Washington Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and Urban Affairs
- Former co-chair, Criminal Law and Individual Rights Section, District of Columbia Bar
- Clerked for the Hon. Judith W. Rogers, District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1983-1984