Partner, Litigation Department
Jason Raeburn is a Partner in the London office of Paul Hastings and heads up our London intellectual property and technology litigation practice.
Jason's practice has a particular focus on complex technology disputes, often relating to trade secrets and copyright in the fields of software development and licensing, cloud and AI-related implementations. His practice also encompasses IP crossover issues involving breach of contract, IT infrastructure, the misuse of data and reputational threats.
Mr. Raeburn sits part-time as a judge in the English High Court, as a Deputy Master of the Chancery Division and as a Judge of the First-Tier Tribunal, hearing specialist appeals.
- Named a 'Next Generation Partner' for TMT - The Legal 500 UK 2023
- the Legal 500: Rising Star – TMT:
- "stand out name" for TMT and a key lawyer for high value IT and software disputes.
- Who's Who Legal: Future Leader, Litigation 2020, 2021: Identified as one of "the most promising litigators in the world, whose skills and expertise are already turning heads at an international level".
- BBBA: Rising Stars Finalist: 2021
- Managing Intellectual Property: "IP Star"
- British Legal Awards 2020: "Rising Star" in Private Practice, shortlisted
- Law Society Excellence Awards 2018: Solicitor-Advocate of the Year, shortlisted
- England & Wales (Solicitor), United Kingdom
- Solicitor-Advocate (Higher Courts, Civil Proceedings), United Kingdom
- Oxford University (2014)
- University of Bristol (LLB, (Hons) (2009)
- Representing an appellant challenging an injunction restricting the use and disclosure of trade secrets before the Court of Appeal (Civil Division).
- Advising on complex IP subsistence and infringement issues related to access to data for machine learning and the outputs of model training.
- Conducting examination in chief and cross-examination of witnesses in confidential proceedings under the Evidence (Proceedings in Other Jurisdictions) Act 1975 obtaining evidence for use in high value patent trials.
- Representing an appellant in a trade mark appeal relating to the UK IPO and relief from sanctions before the Court of Appeal (Civil Division).
- Representing a copyright owner in its claim against a publisher for infringement before the Intellectual Property and Enterprise Court, raising complex issues under the Limitation Act 1980 and international acts of infringement by way of authorisation.
- Representing an international technology manufacturer against a patent assertion entity seeking to assert its standard essential patents over the manufacturer's products and customers.
- Representing an international oil services company in its pursuit of a supplier for patent infringement and breach of contract in the High Court (Technology and Construction Court).
- Providing a legal opinion for use in the Supreme Court of Norway on copyright in music broadcasts.
- Advising technology companies on online copyright issues in connection with new product launches and infringement / litigation risks.
- Negotiating licensing arrangements in relation to the acquisition and exploitation of novel software.
- Paul Hastings Advised Veson Nautical and Investors Francisco Partners and Pamlico Capital in Acquisition of VesselsValue - May 4th, 2023
- Jason Raeburn Appointed General Editor of the ‘Green Book’ - March 21st, 2023
- Paul Hastings Advised Marlin Equity Partners in Growth Investment in OpenAsset Enterprises - February 10th, 2023
- Paul Hastings Receives High Rankings in the 2023 Edition of The Legal 500 UK Solicitors - September 29th, 2022
- Paul Hastings’ IP Practice Adds Preeminent Technology Partner in London - August 15th, 2022
Engagement & Publications
- Lead Tutor and Lecturer, English Law and Litigation - JDD Consultants - CIPA Patent Examination Board Qualifications
Publications relating to IP and technology law:
- Author, 'IPM Year in review: Jason Raeburn on UK IP developments in 2020 and the outlook for 2021,' Intellectual Property Magazine, 2020
- Author, 'Unsupervised Learning: AI's dream = a lawyer's nightmare?,' Lexology, 2020
- Author, 'Vulnerable AI systems and trade secrets - is technology moving the goal posts for legal protection?,' Lexology, 2020
- Author, 'The Digital Looking Glass: Insights from the European Commission's White Paper on AI,' 2020
- Author, 'Advocacy in an alternative environment – Foreign requests for evidence – Some useful reminders,' SAHCA, 2019
- Author, 'Sterling on World Copyright Law,' 7th Ed. (Hardback), Sweet & Maxwell, 2018
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Society for Computers & Law (SCL)
- Committee Member of the Solicitor's Association of Higher Court Advocates (2016 - 2019)
- Intellectual Property and Enterprise Court - Pro Bono Advocacy Officer (under the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys Pro Bono Scheme)