Joyce Sophia Xu is a corporate partner based in the Paul Hastings New York office. Ms. Xu heads up the firm’s global Derivatives practice as well as the firm’s global Libor Transition Task Force. Her clients range from financial institutions and corporations to hedge funds and private equity funds.
Ms. Xu has been recognized and ranked by Chambers Global and Chambers USA every year since 2011. She was named to Crain’s New York Business’s 40 Under 40 list in 2011. Ms. Xu has authored a large collection of articles and book chapters on both Libor transition and derivatives products and regulations. For her book chapter titled, "U.S. Corporate and Regulatory Aspects of Equity Derivatives," in Equity Derivatives: Documenting and Understanding Equity Derivative Products (Globe Law & Business, Globe Business Publishing Ltd. 2009, pp. 357–384), she received the Burton Award for Achievement in Legal Writing.
Ms. Xu also co-authored Reflections on Dodd-Frank: A Look Back and a Look Forward, a compendium of articles that review and analyze key rulemaking developments under the Dodd-Frank Act.
- Named to Crain’s 40 Under 40 list (2011)
- Awarded Asian American Business Development Center’s Outstanding 50 Asian Americans Business Award
- Named one of the world’s leading lawyers for business by Chambers Global (2011–2020) and Chambers USA (2011–2020)
- Recognized as a leading lawyer by IFLR1000
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 2000 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar)
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S., 1997 (University Scholars Program, Tau Beta Pi)
Engagement & Publications
- Author, "Navigating Share Repurchases in Volatile Markets," Paul Hastings Client Alert (March 17, 2020)
- Author, "CFTC Chairman Pledges Support for LIBOR-to-SOFR Transition" Paul Hastings Client Alert (December 13, 2019)
- Author, "CFTC and SEC Charge Foreign Trading Platform Transacting in Security-Based Swaps and Commodity Futures with U.S. Investors" Paul Hastings Client Alert (November 8, 2019)
- Author, "Reporting for Duty: CFTC Clamps Down on Swap Reporting and Risk Management" Paul Hastings Client Alert (October 11, 2019)
- Author, "ARRC Releases Practical Implementation Checklist for SOFR Adoption" Paul Hastings Client Alert (October 1, 2019)
- Author, "SEC Adopts Capital, Margin, and Collateral Segregation Requirements for Security-Based Swaps" Paul Hastings Client Alert (August 8, 2019)
- Author, "SEC Proposes Action Regarding Cross-Border Application of Certain Security-Based Swap Rules" Paul Hastings Client Alert (June 11, 2019)
- Author, "ARRC Releases Recommended Fallback Language for Floating Rate Notes and Syndicated Loans" Paul Hastings Client Alert (May 23, 2019)
- Author, "ARRC Releases White Paper Regarding SOFR – The New U.S. Dollar LIBOR Alternative" Paul Hastings Client Alert (April 29, 2019)
- Member of the ISDA Equity Derivatives Committee
- Member of the ISDA Accounting & Equity Working Group
- Member of the Derivatives and Structured Products Law Committee of the New York State Bar Association