Kwame J. Manley is the Global Chair of the Investigations and White Collar Defense practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. Mr. Manley focuses his practice on white-collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, and complex civil litigation.
A former federal prosecutor, Mr. Manley defends individuals and companies before various agencies, including the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and other federal and state entities. He has worked with multinational companies on all facets of FCPA and OFAC compliance and enforcement, including internal investigations, third-party due diligence, transactional due diligence, compliance audits, and corruption risk assessments. Mr. Manley has performed complex, internal investigations in over 20 countries throughout Asia, Europe, Africa, North America, and South America.
Chambers USA recently noted that Mr. Manley has "impressive experience across a range of mandates, including matters relating to FCPA and sanctions violations, as well as representing individual clients in high-profile investigations," and that he "has excellent judgment, and a lot of credibility within the DC legal community." Chambers USA also noted Kwame Manley "for his experience as a DOJ-appointed monitor," and, in their clients survey, remarked that he "is very personable and has great client relationships," he "knows what questions need to be asked, and how to deal with regulators," he is "an excellent practitioner," and that, "[i]n court I was very proud he was my attorney; he took control of the whole room, and it was really something to watch."
Mr. Manley earned his J.D. in 2000 at Harvard Law School, where he was Notes Editor of the Harvard Law Review and also received a Master in Public Administration degree from the Harvard Kennedy School of Government the same year. He earned his B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, summa cum laude, from Morehouse College in 1996.
- Recognized in 2021 Acritas Stars, an international database of high-performing lawyers recommended by clients without law firm involvement.
- Chambers USA, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations (2021-2022)
- Chambers USA, FCPA (2021)
- The Legal 500, Next Gen Partner for Dispute Resolution - Corporate Investigations and White-Collar Criminal Defense: Advice to Corporates (2021)
- The Legal 500, Dispute Resolution - International Trade (2021)
- Washingtonian, Best Lawyers (2021)
- Super Lawyers, Washington, D.C., Criminal Defense: White Collar (2014-2021)
- National Law Journal, DC Litigation Department of the Year - White Collar (June 2020)
- Global Investigations Review, Most Impressive Investigations Practice - 2017 Award Winner
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 2000 (Notes Editor, Harvard Law Review)
- Harvard Kennedy School, M.P.A., 2000
- Morehouse College, B.A., 1996, Phi Beta Kappa (summa cum laude)
- Court Admissions: U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fourth and Ninth Circuits, U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia, District of Maryland, Eastern District of Michigan, Northern District of West Virginia
- Represent UAE financial institution in economic sanctions matter before OFAC, DOJ, DFS, and FCA
- Represent the U.S. Ambassador to the European Union before the U.S. House of Representatives Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, Committee on Foreign Affairs, and Committee on Oversight and Reform.
- Appointed by DOJ to be an Independent Compliance Monitor pursuant to DPA settlement.
- Represent multinational technology company before DOJ and SEC in investigations related to allegations of FCPA violations.
- Represent national health insurer in False Claims Act investigations
- Counsel for European company in DOJ, OFAC, SEC matter involving alleged Iranian sanctions matters
- Counsel for a UK financial institution before DOJ, OFAC, and other agencies involving alleged breaches of U.S. sanctions laws
- Counsel for a Middle East financial institution regarding alleged violations of US sanctions
- Counsel for a multinational corporation regarding FCPA investigations in Europe, Latin America, and Africa
- Counsel for pharmaceutical company regarding FCPA monitoring activities in Asia
- Counsel for a Fortune 500 company in an FCPA investigation in Mexico
- Counsel for a Foreign Sovereign Government in a DOJ money laundering investigation
- Counsel for Foreign Officials on separate money laundering claims
- Counsel for a multi-state health care management and hospice corporation for alleged FCA violations
- Counsel for a senior executive in an SBA internal investigation
- Counsel for a corporation regarding alleged immigration and SEC violations
- Counsel for a White House appointee in an Office of Inspector General investigation
Matters in Government
- Prosecuted a $40 million dollar money laundering and wire fraud case involving electronic fencing operations in Maryland, New York, Texas, and Florida
- Prosecuted a fraudulent Medicare billing scheme involving companies and pharmacies in the United States and Eastern Europe
- Prosecuted businesses and individuals in an extensive mortgage fraud conspiracy in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia
- Prosecuted individuals for a $28 million dollar tax evasion scheme
- Prosecuted employees in a kickback scheme involving bank funds
- Paul Hastings Named ‘White Collar Group of the Year’ by Law360 - January 27th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Celebrated as Most Impressive Investigations Practice at Global Investigations Review’s Annual Awards - November 10th, 2021
- Paul Hastings Named to World’s Top 10 Best Investigations Practices by Global Investigations Review - October 23rd, 2020
- Paul Hastings Investigations and White Collar Defense Practice Named Most Impressive Investigations Practice by Leading Industry Publication Global Investigations Review - October 31st, 2017
- Paul Hastings Recognized by Chambers Global 2022 - February 21st, 2022
- Anti-Corruption and FCPA Practice Recognized by Chambers Global 2022 - February 21st, 2022
- Paul Hastings Named 'White Collar Group of the Year' by Law360 - January 27th, 2022
- Paul Hastings Championed as Most Impressive Investigations Practice by Global Investigations Review - November 10th, 2021
- Recognised among the World’s Top 10 Best Investigations Practices by Global Investigations Review for 2020 - October 23rd, 2020
Engagement & Publications
- Speaker, DOJ Monitorships and Effective Compliance Programs, Japan Institute for Overseas Investment (JOI), Tokyo, September 2019
- Faculty Speaker, ACI Economic Sanctions Conference, "How leading companies are prioritizing sanctions compliance for current and future business opportunities," Washington DC, May 2019
- Author, Something Familiar, Something New: OFAC’s Compliance Program Framework, May 6, 2019
- Author, Law360, "Sanctions Compliance Shortfalls Result in $1B Global Enforcement Action," April 2019
- Speaker/Panelist, ACI Conference on Economic Sanctions Enforcement and Compliance, "Walkthrough of a Sanctions Investigation and Voluntary Disclosure Do’s and Don’ts," April 2018, Washington, DC
- Speaker/Panelist, Emerging Issues in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Enforcement, "How to Improve Efficiency and Control Costs in Internal Investigations," March 2018, Washington, DC
- Lead Presenter, The Acquisition Due Diligence Process, June 2017, Washington, DC (broadcast nationwide)
- Lead Presenter, Client CLE: Government Investigations – How to Protect Your Company, May 2017, Seoul, Korea
- Speaker/Panelist, ABA Business Law Conference, "Government Investigations/Compliance: How to Keep Your Company Out of the Government's Crosshairs," October 2015, Chicago, IL
- Speaker/Faculty, National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigations, April 2016, Washington, DC
- Speaker/Faculty, NACDL Annual White Collar Seminar, Defending the White Collar Case: In and Out of Court, October 2016, Washington, DC
- Author, Law360, "U.S. Sanctions' Long Reach May Have Just Gotten Longer," October 2016
- Author, Client Alert, HCP Roundtable Anyone? South Korea’s Ministry Of Health And Welfare Imposes A $48 Million Fine On Novartis Korea And Suspends Insurance Reimbursement
- Moderator, DOJ and SEC Decision Makers: Enforcement Trends and Perspectives on the Transition to a New Administration, FCPA Conference, December 2020.
- Moderator, Behind the Scenes of FCPA Prosecutions with DOJ, SEC, FBI, HIS, and IRS, FCPA Conference, December 2020
- Member, American Bar Association; National Bar Association; Federal Bar Association
- Member, Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation National Selection Committee
- Barrister, Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court (White Collar Defense – Washington, D.C.)
- Clerked for the Honorable Henry H. Kennedy, Jr., United States District Judge for the District of Columbia