Luc Despins is co-chair of the Financial Restructuring group and a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office.
Mr. Despins is a bankruptcy practitioner with over 30 years of experience representing debtors and creditors in some of the most high profile and complex restructuring matters. He is widely recognized as one of the world’s leading financial restructuring lawyers and has been cited on numerous occasions for his role in major bankruptcies.
- The American Lawyer’s "Top 45 Under 45" [For all practice areas] (January 2003)
- Turnarounds and Workouts’ Special Report: (Top Ten) Outstanding Bankruptcy Lawyers 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, and 2006
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers
- The Legal 500 US: Corporate and Finance (Corporate Restructuring)
- Lawdragon’s "Leading Dealmakers" and "Leading 500 Attorneys"
- The Best Lawyers in America 2008 (Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law)
- K&A Register: "Leading Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Lawyers and Financial Advisors in the United States"
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 1985 (Viscount Bennett Scholar)
- University of Ottawa, LL.B., 1982
- University of Ottawa, LL.L., 1981
- As counsel for the official committees of unsecured creditors in the following matters: FTX, The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and related entities, Molycorp, NewPage Corporation, Spansion, Inc., AbitibiBowater, Inc, Lehman Brothers Holdings, Inc., Refco, Inc., Enron Corp., and Safety-Kleen Corporation.
- As counsel for the following debtors (either as part of an out-of-court restructuring or in chapter 11 cases): Chapter 11 Trustee of Ho Wan Kwok, GT Advanced Technologies, Inc.; FairPoint Communications, Inc., Fruit of the Loom, Inc., Dictaphone Corporation, Safety Components International, Inc., Satmex, Inc. HomePlace Stores, Inc., Seven-Up/RC Bottling Company of Southern California, Inc., CIS Corporation, Zeta Consumer Products Corp., Ames Department Stores, Inc., Sun TV Inc., Wang Computers, and A.H. Robins.
- Paul Hastings Continues to Grow in London with Addition of Leading Restructuring and Debt Finance Partner David Ereira - November 18th, 2015
- Paul Hastings Excels in Chambers USA 2012 Guide - June 7th, 2012
- Paul Hastings Earns Top Marks in Chambers 2011 Global Guide - March 21st, 2011
- Paul Hastings Climbs the Ranks in Chambers 2010 Global Guide - April 28th, 2010
- This Trend May Not Be Your Friend: Could Catalyst Paper Spawn a New Breed of Chapter 15 Cases for U.S. Debtors? - April 2nd, 2012
- The Saga of a Secured Lenders Right to Credit Bid Continues - Seventh Circuit Rejects Third Circuit Approach and Upholds Secured Lenders Right to Credit Bid in Sale Pursuant to a Bankruptcy Plan - June 30th, 2011