Mark Rutter is an associate in the Real Estate practice of Paul Hastings and is a member of the Hospitality & Leisure group. He is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Mr. Rutter’s practice focuses on a wide variety of real estate-related matters, with an emphasis on the representation of real estate development companies, financial institutions, and investors in all aspects of the acquisition, development, and finance of hotels, resorts, and mixed-use projects, including the negotiation of purchase and sale, management, franchise, licensing and branding agreements, restaurant leases and management agreements, technical service agreements, and executive compensation and consulting agreements. His practice also includes the representation of borrowers in negotiating real estate-related construction and permanent loans.
- Selected as a Super Lawyers Magazine Southern California Rising Star in Real Estate for 2020 through 2022.
Mr. Rutter received his law degree from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law in 2015, where he served as Development Editor of the California Law Review. He graduated cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Vanderbilt University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science. Mr. Rutter is admitted to practice law in California.
- Dubai World in the disposition of its 50% interest in the CityCenter development, comprising the Aria Resort and Casino and Vdara Hotel and Spa, on The Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- The Witkoff Group in the negotiation of a resort integration agreement, hotel management agreement, and related ancillary agreements with Marriott Hotels & Resorts for The Drew Las Vegas, an approximately 4,000-room casino-hotel on The Strip in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Watermark Lodging Trust, Inc., a non-traded real estate investment trust, in acquisitions of or investments in, and/or financings for, San Diego Marriott La Jolla, Seattle Marriott Bellevue, Raleigh Marriott City Center Hotel and Conference Center, Hawks Cay Resort, The Equinox, Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn & Spa, Courtyard Marriott Mission Valley San Diego, and Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne.
- The Blackstone Group L.P. in the disposition of various hospitality assets located throughout the United States.
- Oaktree Capital Management, L.P. and Trinity Investments LLC in the acquisition of the W Hollywood Hotel in Los Angeles, California.
- Angelo, Gordon & Company in the acquisition, disposition management, and licensing of various hospitality assets located throughout the United States.
- A private investor in the financing of its investment in the Sunset Tower Hotel.
- Ares Management LLC in the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of multi-family apartment projects located in California and Arizona.