Michael Morrill is an of counsel in the Investigations and White Collar Defense practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the Chicago and District of Columbia offices. He has represented corporate and individual clients in a wide range of white-collar criminal defense matters, internal investigations, and enforcement actions initiated by federal and state regulators. His diverse practice has also included a plethora of complex commercial litigation matters spanning a collection of industries.
Mr. Morrill has represented financial institutions, fintech companies, and other providers of financial products and services in matters initiated by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), Department of Justice (DOJ), and Federal Trade Commission (FTC). He has also successfully guided a number of executives through DOJ and Congressional investigations as their individual counsel.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Morrill has had several years of experience working at two other law firms, one midsize and one major. He also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Danny Boggs of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D. (cum laude), 2014
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (highest honors and highest distinction), 2010
- Guided several major companies through highly-sensitive internal investigations, including one involving a major financial institution and another involving a medical device manufacturer.
- Advised a major financial institution on best practices and emerging case law relating to the use of novel data-scraping technology.
- Represented several executives as individual counsel during DOJ and Congressional investigations, including one involving the Paycheck Protection Program and another relating to campaign finance law.
- Defended a city college at a full arbitration hearing relating to a multimillion-dollar construction dispute.
- Helped successfully persuade an appellate court to grant a new trial for a pro bono client who had received an unconstitutional conviction.
Engagement & Publications
- Mr. Morrill has published articles on price-gouging enforcement during the coronavirus pandemic, as well as on Department of Justice memoranda relating to prosecution of individual rather than corporate defendants.