Phoebe Yan is a litigation partner based in our Shanghai office. Her practice focuses on life sciences, white-collar crime and internal investigations, data privacy and cybersecurity, government enforcement actions, and dispute resolution. Ms. Yan specializes in cross-border compliance, data governance, and contentious matters.
Ms. Yan is admitted to practice law in New York. She also passed the bar in China in 2013 and has a Chinese practicing license, but the license is currently not in active status due to local regulatory requirements. Before joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Yan worked at a full-service Chinese law firm and an international law firm.
Ms. Yan is a certified information privacy professional for the U.S. Sector (CIPP/US), a Certified Information Security Professional for Personal Information Protection (CISP-PIP) of the Chinese PIPL, and an EXIN certified Data Protection Officer for GDPR.
- Shortlisted for "Life Sciences Lawyer of the Year - Women in Business Law Awards APAC 2022"
- The University of Iowa, College of Law, J.D., 2010
- Peking University, B.A., 2006
- Representing U.S. and European pharmaceutical, medical devices, technology, and consumer products companies regarding anti-corruption and anti-bribery issues before the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission
- Conducting China-wide, cross-business internal investigations on behalf of several major multinational pharmaceutical and medical devices manufacturers
- Representing various U.S. and European life science companies, automotive products manufacturers, and oil and gas companies in commercial bribery and competition law investigations and dawn raids by Chinese authorities
- Advising multinational and Chinese companies on compliance, contract, and employment issues related to whistle-blower claims, third-party business partner disputes, and conflict of interests investigations
- Performing compliance trainings and M&A compliance due diligence
- Performed China focused data mapping and health check and provide data privacy and security consultation to a multinational investment company
- Provided data privacy and cybersecurity consultation to a multinational fashion conglomerate
- Performed data health check to the compliance hotline of a multinational pharmaceutical company
- Representing a U.S. pharmaceutical company on data privacy and cross-border transfer strategy
- Representing a U.S. financial company on Chinese data governance related issues
- Tried a recognition and enforcement of Hong Kong arbitral award case before a Beijing court. The case was selected as the Top 10 model enforcement cases by the Supreme People’s Court of China in 2020.
- Handled contract disputes against business partners for U.S. and U.K. clients in life sciences and technology industries before Beijing courts and arbitration tribunals
- Advising multinational companies in life sciences, automobile, electronic devices, food, cosmetics, and home appliance industries for product liability and product recall matters
- Assisted multinational clients in commercial and financial litigations before Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong courts
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent speaker for the Ethics and Compliance Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
- Certified Information Security Professional - Personal Information Protection (CISP-PIP) by the China Information Technology Security Evaluation Center
- EXIN Privacy and Data Protection Officer for GDPR
- Guest member of the Corporate Compliance Committee of the Shanghai Bar Association
- Admitted to the New York Bar and the P.R. China Bar