Deyan P. Spiridonov is a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice. He is a member of the California State Bar Association.
Mr. Spiridonov practices in the area of mergers and acquisitions and has represented public and private companies in the telecommunications, semiconductor, software, technology-related defense contracting, biotechnology and financial industries. Mr. Spiridonov has experience in structuring and negotiating all aspects of acquisition transactions, including stock acquisitions, asset acquisitions, mergers, tender offers, going-private transactions, leveraged buy-outs and joint ventures.
In addition, Mr. Spiridonov represents companies and special committees to the board of directors in connection with hostile takeovers and anti-takeover defenses, including poison pills and general anti-takeover planning and strategic advice.
In the financial services industry Mr. Spiridonov has represented Citigroup in its acquisition of the European credit card network of Diners Club, and he has worked on numerous other acquisition transactions including the merger of Wells Fargo & Co. with Norwest Corporation, the acquisition of Republic New York Corporation by HSBC, acquisitions of bank and non-bank assets by MBNA Corporation as well as other transactions involving U.S. and non-U.S. financial institutions.
Mr. Spiridonov has also represented private equity funds, including Platinum Equity, Symphony Technology and Paladin Capital, in their acquisition and leveraged buy-out activities.
- J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) in 1997
- B.A. in English in 1994 from the University of California, Berkeley
In the biotechnology, healthcare, and life sciences industries, Mr. Spiridonov has represented:
- Aurora Biosciences in its acquisition of PanVera Corporation;
- Corvas International in its merger with Dendreon Corporation;
- Endonetics, Inc. in its acquisition by Medtronic;
- i-Stat in its acquisition by Abbot Laboratories;
- MedUnite, Inc. in the acquisition of assets from National Data Corporation and its subsequent sale to ProxyMed, Inc.;
- Sequenom Inc. in its acquisition of Axiom Biotechnologies; and
- Numerous venture-backed life sciences companies and their executives in merger and acquisition transactions.
In the technology, software, and semiconductor industries, Mr. Spiridonov has represented:
- Applied Micro Circuits Corporation in its acquisition of MMC Networks, JNI, Inc. and in various other transactions including the purchase of the switch fabric and PowerPC businesses from IBM;
- Captiva Software Corporation in its merger with ActionPoint, Inc.;
- Conexant Systems, Inc. in asset acquisition and disposition transactions with GlobespanVirata and PCTEL, Inc.;
- First Virtual Communications in its merger with CUseeME Networks; and
- MusicMatch, Inc. in the sale of the company to Yahoo! Inc.
In the defense and security industry, Mr. Spiridonov has represented:
- The Titan Corporation in its acquisitions of Datron Systems, Jaycor, Inc. and Science & Engineering Associates.
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent lecturer on mergers and acquisitions topics
- Authored articles on mergers and acquisitions related issues
- Member of the California Bar Association
- Member of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association
- Member of the M&A Committee to the American Bar Association