Tom Wisialowski is a partner and chair of the Palo Alto office of Paul Hastings and is a member of the firm’s Tax and Real Estate Departments.
Tom provides advice regarding structuring of real estate transactions, primarily through the use of limited liability companies and partnerships, including the formation of private equity and real estate funds, and real estate investment trusts (REITs). He also represents public and private pension plans and foreign sovereign wealth funds (SWF) and their advisors with respect to investments in private equity, venture capital, and real estate funds, including advising regarding unrelated business taxable income (UBTI) issues, effectively connected income (ECI) issues, and private REITs and UPREITs. Tom also advises the Firm’s investment management group, advising regulated investment companies and hedge funds.
- Best Lawyers in America (2007-2020).
- Best Lawyers: California's Best Lawyers (2012-2020).
- Chambers USA (2007-2020).
- The Legal 500 (2007-2020).
- Planning Committee – USC Tax Institute (2014-2020).
- Stanford Law School, J.D. (1985)
- University of Wisconsin Whitewater, B.B.A. (1982)
Representative experience includes advising on the tax aspects of the following transactions:
- Advised Colony Capital, which led an investment of $1.2 billion in Vantage Data Centers, a leading global provider of hyperscale data center campuses.
- Advised Camden Properties, LLC and Camden Land Corporation in the sale of a 12-story, 207,400-square-foot property in Beverly Hills to Starpoint Properties for $193 million.
- Advised Sino-Ocean Group (“Sino-Ocean”), one of the largest real estate companies in China, in its $95 million acquisition of boutique hotel and members’ club Soho House in Chicago’s booming Fulton Market neighborhood.
- Advised Cando Partners and Wilshire-Canon Properties, LLC in the sale of a 146,300 square-foot office property in Beverly Hills to Douglas Emmett, Inc. for $143.6 million.
- Advised Burba Hotel Network, a global developer and organizer of conferences for the hotel and tourism investment community, in its collaboration with American Hotel & Lodging Association Educational Institute and sale of its hotel investment event portfolio to Northstar Travel Media.
- Advised Nyca Partners on the closing of its second venture capital fund, with more than $125 million in investor commitments.
- Proposed IRS Regulations Significantly Curtail Impact of Section 956 for U.S. Corporate Borrowers - November 5th, 2018
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Summer 2017 - August 1st, 2017
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2012 - December 5th, 2012
- Hedge Fund Report Summary of Key Developments - Spring 2011 - April 25th, 2011
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent speaker on U.S. real estate and partnership tax issues
- Frequent speaker on U.S. and cross-border tax issues
- Former Adjunct Professor, Partnership Taxation at The University of Southern California Law School and University of San Diego
- Speaker, 2018 California Bar/Real Estate Section – Unpacking Joint Ventures
- Speaker, 2016 USC Tax Institute - Drafting Partnership and LLC Agreements - Critical Tax Considerations
- Speaker, 2013 USC Tax Institute – Limitations on the Use of Partnership Losses in Real Estate Transactions: Planning Opportunities
- Speaker, 2012 Mid-Winter ABA Tax Section -- Real Estate Funds: A Potpourri of Issues that Vex the Practical Practitioner
- Speaker 2010, Law Seminars International—Real Estate Joint Ventures and Funds–Tax Traps of Exiting Joint Ventures and Workouts of Joint Ventures
- Former Member of Advisory Forum, Stanford Center on the Legal Profession.
- Former co-chair of ABA Section of Taxation Committee on U.S. Activities of Foreigners and Tax Treaties Subcommittee on Portfolio Investments and Withholding Tax.
- Former chair of the Foreign Tax Section and Former chair of the Pass-Through Entities Committee of the Los Angeles County Bar Association.
- Member of the State Bar of California.