Yousuf Dhamee is a partner in the Private Investment Funds practice at Paul Hastings and based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Mr. Dhamee focuses his practice on investment management matters. He represents investment advisers in connection with the structuring and distribution of investment funds, including hedge funds, registered funds, private equity funds and customized investment products. He has experience representing sovereign wealth funds, institutional advisers and tax-exempt institutions seeking to invest in private funds. Mr. Dhamee also advises clients on the establishment and operation of investment adviser businesses and provides ongoing regulatory advice related to these entities. His practice includes structuring incentive compensation and equity ownership arrangements for principals of investment management firms.
Mr. Dhamee has previously worked as a director in the general counsel’s office of a registered investment adviser of hedge funds, debt funds and issuers of CDOs. Before and after joining the general counsel’s office, Mr. Dhamee practiced with other international law firms in New York City and Los Angeles.
- The Legal 500, Investment Fund Formation & Management - Private Equity Funds (Including Venture Capital) (2021)
- The Legal 500, Investment Fund Formation & Management - Alternative/Hedge Funds (2016-2021)
- Chambers USA ranked (2019, 2021)
- Who’s Who Legal, Private Funds – Formation and Private Funds – Regulatory categories (2016-2020)
- New York University School of Law, J.D. (Staff Editor, Journal of Legislation and Public Policy), 1999
- Brown University, B.A., 1996
- Represented various sovereign wealth funds and institutional funds of funds in numerous primary and secondary transactions across asset classes: hedge, private equity, venture capital and real estate.
- Represented Monarch Capital in a number of areas, including distribution arrangements, regulatory compliance and investor-related matters.
- Represented a number of large institutional investors in matters related to private fund operations, the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, tax and regulatory advice.
- Represented various leading international investment advisory firms with respect to the formation and operation of onshore and offshore hedge funds.
- Represented Breakaway Capital, a Los Angeles loan fund, in the organization and offering of its initial fund.
- Rapid Rulemaking: A Look at the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Recent Proposed Rules - March 25th, 2022
- Holding ABS Is Still Tricky: The EU Securitisation Regulation and its U.K. Equivalent - June 5th, 2020
- Why Holding ABS Just Got Trickier: The EU Securitisation Regulation’s Impact on EU and Non-EU Investors - August 15th, 2018
- Private Fund Report—Summary of Key Developments—Summer 2017 - August 1st, 2017