Bill Choe is a partner in Paul Hastings’s Palo Alto office and is a member of the Firm’s Technology and Mergers & Acquisitions practices.
Recognized as one of the technology industry’s top M&A dealmakers, he has successfully represented prominent public and private technology companies in a wide range of domestic and cross-border buy- and sell-side M&A transactions, including stock and asset sales and purchases, tender offers, spin-ins, and divestitures and divisional sales for over 25 years, including in innovative sectors such as artificial intelligence, digital media streaming, voice and vision technologies, autonomous vehicles (ADAS), and the Internet of Things (IoT).
For his exceptional client service in tech M&A, Mr. Choe has been praised by his clients for his ability to successfully navigate and marry the legal with the commercial in complex deals.
In the 2021 and 2022 editions of Chambers USA, clients commented:
"He is a remarkable deal lawyer [who] is excellent in negotiations and...a master problem solver."
"Bill can blend legal excellence, strategic advice and commercial problem solving, making him an exceptional legal talent."
"He is extremely bright, incredibly responsive and brings a practical and sensible approach to any problem that shows his business acumen and understanding of our key objectives."
"Bill is … peerless in distilling the essence of a problem and giving you advice for a clear path forward."
In addition to being ranked in Chambers USA, Mr. Choe is regularly recognized in other leading corporate and M&A guides, including Legal 500 USA, Who’s Who in Legal, Lawdragon 500: Leading Dealmakers in America, and Euromoney.
Mr. Choe also has significant experience in advising high-technology companies at early-through-exit stages of their growth cycle, as well as venture capital and private equity funds that focus on investing in such companies.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Choe served as co-head of the global technology industry group and global head of technology M&A at another international law firm. He also has served as vice president of legal at a publicly-traded information and analytics company, where he led the department’s M&A, securities, and corporate governance matters.
- Recognized in Chambers USA: Corporate/M&A in California: San Francisco, Silicon Valley & Surrounds: The Elite
- Recognized by The Legal 500 United States for M&A: Large Deals
- Recognized in Lawdragon 500: Leading Dealmakers in America
- Named a Leading Individual for M&A in the United States in Euromoney’s Banking Finance and Transactional Expert Guide
- Named in Who’s Who Legal: M&A and Governance
- Columbia University, M.B.A.
- Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
- University of Michigan, B.A.
Mr. Choe has represented Intel as lead in numerous M&A transactions, including, among others, in its:
- acquisition of Screenovate Technologies Ltd., an Israel-based wireless device virtualization platform company
- sale of Intel's drone-light show business to Kimbal Musk affiliated Nova Sky Stories, LLC
- acquisition of Linutronix GmbH, a German developer of Linux-based kernel architecture;
- acquisition of Codeplay Software Limited, a Scottish open-source AI-software developer;
- acquisition of Habana Labs Ltd., an Israel-based developer of programmable deep learning accelerators for the data center;
- acquisition of an Israel-based artificial intelligence company providing an all-in-one machine learning platform;
- acquisition of Barefoot Networks, Inc., an emerging leader in Ethernet switch silicon and software for use in the data center;
- acquisition of eASIC Corporation, a developer of FPGA-like design tools to roll out structured ASICs;
- acquisition of Nervana, Systems, Inc., an AI/deep learning software company;
- acquisition of Rivet Networks LLC, a provider of accelerated networking products and analysis tools;
- acquisition of eBrisk Video Inc., a Canadian video encoding and compression company;
- acquisition of Ineda Systems, an Indian-based Level-5 Autonomous Driving systems technology company;
- acquisition of Telaris Inc., a laser/Lidar technology company;
- acquisition of Eonite Perception Inc., a high-definition mapping company that provides mapping technology, data, and software for autonomous driving;
- acquisition of 1026 Labs, Inc. (Vertex.AI), a company focused on deep learning compilation tools and associated technology;
- acquisition of Ascending Technologies GmbH, a German drone company with autopilot and anti-collision technologies;
- acquisition of Itseez, Inc. (and affiliated companies and assets), a Computer Vison software company;
- acquisition of MAVinci GmbH, a German drone company with flight planning technologies;
- acquisition of Yogitech S.P.A., an Italian provider of functional safety features and IP for semiconductors used in automotive and other safety-critical markets;
- asset purchase of pan-Asian mobile chip business from VIA Telecom;
- acquisition of HICAMP Systems, Inc., a developer of memory efficiency circuitry and technologies (and founded by Intel Fellow David Cheriton);
- asset purchase of appMobi, Inc., an HTML5 developer tools business;
- acquisition of Indisys, S.A., a developer of natural language processing technologies; and
- acquisition of Mashery, Inc., a provider of technology solutions for API management and monetization.
Mr. Choe has also led representations in the following tech M&A transactions, among many others:
- Agile Software in its proposed $2.55 billion sale to Ariba, Inc., including termination of the transaction
- Silicon Spice, Inc., in its $1.2 billion sale to Broadcom Corporation
- Link_A_Media Devices Corporation in its $260 million sale to SK Hynix, Inc., SK Hynix’s first US acquisition
- Mykonos Software, Inc., in its sale to Juniper Networks, Inc.
- VMWare, Inc., in its acquisition of Desktone, Inc.
- DataPath Systems, Inc., in its $535 million sale to LSI Logic, Inc.
- Valicert, Inc., in its sale to Tumbleweed Communications Corp.
- Instraspect Software, Inc., in its sale to Vignette Corporation
- McAfee in its asset purchase of a leading malware analysis software business
Above includes certain matters prior to joining Paul Hastings.