Gary Zanfagna is the Chair of the firm’s Antitrust and Competition Practice Group, and is based in Washington, D.C. His practice encompasses antitrust law issues globally, with a focus on guiding corporations through antitrust reviews of transactions, regulatory and other investigations, and enforcement matters. He has extensive experience advising executives on mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures, helping them devise innovative strategies to enable business combinations.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Zanfagna was Chief Antitrust Counsel at Honeywell International. Over his 20-year tenure at Honeywell, he led the merger review process before the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Department of Justice, the European Commission, and other foreign competition agencies.
He also has valuable government experience, having served at the FTC in two separate roles, including as Assistant Director for the Office of Policy Planning.
Mr. Zanfagna is the Immediate Past Chair of the American Bar Association’s influential Antitrust Law Section.
- The Legal 500 USA, Civil Litigation/Class Actions: Defense (2022)
- The Legal 500 USA, Merger Control (2022)
- University of Virginia, J.D., 1993
- College of William and Mary, B.A., 1988
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent speaker on a range of antitrust topics
- Author for The Antitrust Source
- A principal author, Antitrust Guidelines for Collaborations among Competitors, issued by the Commission and the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice
- Chair, ABA Antitrust Law Section, 2020-21
- Nominated to successive leadership positions in the Antitrust Law Section since 2000, previously serving as Chair-Elect and as head of Programs, Finance, Communications, and Long-Range Planning
- Board Member, Presbyterian Church in Westfield, 2019-2022, Finance Officer