James T. Grogan
Partner, Corporate Department
HoustonPhone: 1(713) 860-7338
James Grogan is a partner in the Financial Restructuring group, based in Houston. He has a national reputation for successfully representing company and creditor clients in complex financial restructurings, bankruptcy cases, and out-of-court workouts. He focuses on solving his clients’ most challenging problems by designing and implementing negotiation and litigation strategies, and serving as lead trial counsel in bankruptcy disputes.
Mr. Grogan recently led the Firm’s successful representation of Cred Inc. in the first bankruptcy in the United States involving a cryptocurrency business, achieving confirmation of a consensual chapter 11 plan in only four months. Having addressed numerous issues of first impression during that engagement, Mr. Grogan regularly advises Fintech and other clients on cryptocurrency issues related to financial restructurings.
Mr. Grogan has also assisted clients in numerous complex business restructurings, both inside and outside chapter 11, including the restructurings of AbitibiBowater, Adelphia Communications, AIG, Alta Mesa Resources, American Airlines, BJ Services, Castex Energy, CHC Helicopters, Chisholm Oil & Gas, Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Cred, Francis’ Drilling Fluids, FairPoint Communications, Furniture Brands International, General Motors, GT Advanced Technologies, Lehman Brothers, Magna Entertainment, MolyCorp, NewPage, Pioneer Energy Services, Pliant, PRC LLC, Qimonda, SandRidge Energy, Sable Permian Resources, Six Flags, Southcross Holdings, TECNET, Vanguard Natural Resources, VarTec Telecom, Washington Mutual and WorldCom.
- Recognized by Chambers USA 2022 - Bankruptcy and Restructuring: Texas
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2022)
- The Legal 500 USA, Restructuring Including Bankruptcy: Corporate (2021-2022)
- The Legal 500, Finance - Restructuring: Corporate (2021)
- Honored with the Consumer and Retail Products Deal of the Year award for work on Furniture Brands, The M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards, 2014
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D. (Order of the Coif), 2000
- Wheaton College, BA, 1988
Engagement & Publications
- Lectures and writes on various topics relating to financial restructurings
- Assisted in teaching commercial law and secured credit at the University of Kansas School of Law
- During law school, served as an associate editor for the Kansas Law Review
- Member, State Bars of New York and Texas
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors
- Admitted to practice before numerous federal courts, including the U.S. District Courts for the Southern District of New York, and the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas