John Kimble is an associate at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Century City office. With more than eight years of consumer financial services experience in regulatory compliance, state and federal enforcement actions, and complex civil litigation, he advises clients on laws and regulations surrounding open-and closed-end consumer and commercial credit (and other forms of financing such as retail installment agreements and merchant cash advances), mortgage lending, auto lending, blockchain and decentralized finance, deposit accounts, and payment systems. John is the Co-Chair of the Consumer Financial Services Committee of the Business Law Section of the California Lawyers Association.
Before joining Paul Hastings, John was an associate at a large national law firm, where he focused on matters regarding fair lending, debt collection and debt settlement practices, electronic fund transfers, credit reporting, TILA and state law disclosure requirements, student lending and student-loan servicing, bank partnerships, and innovative and emerging products such as buy-now-pay-later, earned wage access, and income share agreements. He has worked with a variety of clients, including Fortune 500 and Fintech 50 companies, lenders, investors, borrowers, and brokers.
Engagement & Publications
- Co-Author, Consumer Financial Services Answer Book (2022 Edition), Practicing Law Institute, November 2021
- Co-Author, "The CFPB’s War on Discrimination," Daily Journal, August 5, 2021
- Moderator, Department of Financial Protection and Innovation Q&A, Consumer Financial Services Committee, California Lawyers Association, August 18, 2021
- Panelist, "Managing the Chargeback Process While Staying in Compliance with Card Brand Rules," Online Lenders Alliance Compliance University, May 11, 2021
- Panelist, "Change Agent: Know Your Customer – What Verification and Fraud Control Strategies Should Lenders Consider Effective in a Semi-Recovered and a Fully Recovered Economy," Online Lenders Alliance Compliance University, July 22, 2020
- Co-Chair, Consumer Financial Services Committee of the Business Law Section of the California Lawyers Association