Kyotaro Ozawa (formerly, Hemmi) is an associate in the Litigation department and is based in the firm’s Tokyo Office. His practice focuses primarily on litigation, with particular focus on intellectual property litigation and government investigation. He is experienced in various stages of litigation, including managing pre-suit investigation, taking and defending fact and expert depositions, and presenting arguments and examinations at hearings and trials.
Mr. Ozawa is bilingual in written and spoken English and Japanese.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Ozawa was an associate at another multi‑national law firm in its New York office. As a litigator in New York, he regularly made appearances in various New York courts, representing clients at trials as lead counsel and presenting arguments at more than thirty hearings.
Mr. Ozawa joined Paul Hastings in 2018. He is admitted to practice in New York and is a Registered Foreign Lawyer in Japan.
- One to Watch, Patent Practice The Best Lawyers in Japan (2024)
- Recommended, Litigation Japan IAM Patent 1000 (2022-2023)
- Rising Star, Intellectual Property Japan The Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020, 2023)
- The World's Leading Patent Professionals, Japan: Foreign – IAM Patent 1000 (2019-2020)
- Her Justice – 2016 Commitment to Justice Awards
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company in a patent-infringement case involving a COVID-19 vaccine.
- Representing a Japanese pharmaceutical company in an arbitration matter and a related district-court litigation over a novel antibody-drug conjugate (ADC) targeting, among others, breast and gastrointestinal cancer cells.
- Representing an American biotechnology company in the ITC and in a district court in connection with the alleged misappropriation of its trade secrets concerning a novel formulation to treat NAFLD / NASH.
- Represented a client as Lead Trial Counsel in a high-stakes custody case involving a severely disabled child and more than six million dollars in controversy. After a four-day bench trial in the Bronx County Supreme Court, successfully obtained a complete victory for the client.
- Represented a Japanese automobile manufacturer in a patent infringement case involving microprocessor designs and wireless communication protocols.
- Represented a multinational electronics company in a patent infringement case involving technologies relating to wireless messaging and mobile-device management.
- Represented a printer manufacturer against its competitor in a trade secret case.